Bathtub handles spin - replace handles? Cartridges? Stems?

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by pmandra, Feb 23, 2011.

1. pmandra

pmandra New Member

Hi,

My bathtub has two handles - one controlling 'hot' and one controlling 'cold'. Lately, I've had a difficult time turning the water off because the handles are now able to spin completely around (previously, they would stop at the proper point and turn off the water).

I removed the handles and see a blue recessed cylinder that allows me to turn the water on and off (vs using the handles). The blue cylinders appear slightly cracked. My research tells me the fixture might be a Moen - not really sure how I can tell.

Question - what needs to be replaced? Is it the handles, since they keep spinning? ? The blue cylinders (are these cartridges? Stems?) Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Probably all of the above. Does NOT sound like moen. How about some pictures?
  3. pmandra

pmandra New Member

With photos

Hi,

Please see attached photos. As you can see, the blue cylinder I removed (is that a cartridge?) is slightly cracked and is a little worse for wear. Is this the likely problem causing the handle to spin and should replacing it help?

(BTW - what brand does this look like?)

Thanks!

Attached Files:

4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

That is a Moen. You can contact them for parts. You will also need their tool for removal.