Bathroom sink leaking at tail peace and slip nut not sitting flush. Keeps not following thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Fred1

Reaction score
I had to take the pipe of my bathroom sink off today as I had a blockage. I’ve tried to put it back on and now it is leaking from the tail peace. The slip nut won’t sit flush on the thread and I now can’t stop the leak. Any help appreciated

Fred1

Reaction score
I had to take the pipe of my bathroom sink off today as I had a blockage. I’ve tried to put it back on and now it is leaking from the tail peace. The slip nut won’t sit flush on the thread and I now can’t stop the leak. Any help appreciated

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 75

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
its cross threaded loosen p trap so the tailpiece is free and centers up. The nut might be damaged but dont give up yet

Reach4

Reaction score
To avoid crossthreading, I like to turn the nut CCW a few turns first, feeling where the nut drops in during the rotation. Then turn CCW to just after that point, and then go CW.

Fred1

Reaction score
its cross threaded loosen p trap so the tailpiece is free and centers up. The nut might be damaged but dont give up yet
I’ve not even had it screwed on to the p trap. Just been screwing on the tail piece. Seems not to be following the thread

Fred1

Reaction score
To avoid crossthreading, I like to turn the nut CCW a few turns first, feeling where the nut drops in during the rotation. Then turn CCW to just after that point, and then go CW.
What’s the CcW and CW?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Righty tighty lefty loosy the easy way to remember , my dad taught me that clockwise way never forgot it musta been between 6 and 9 years old the other saying i like better

Reach4

Reaction score
Righty tighty lefty loosy the easy way to remember , my dad taught me that clockwise way never forgot it musta been between 6 and 9 years old the other saying i like better
That "Righty tighty lefty loosy " works better for people who only know digital clocks.

But both ways can be confusing for the nut like this that has its threads up, toward the viewer.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
The curse of plastic slipnuts on metal threads is the plastic threads are easy to strip.

If it got to the point you're here, I might suggest replacing the tailpiece/slipnut combo.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
It looks like your missing the tailpiece if this is a lav it should screw up into the drain with fine threads.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
London Ohio maybe? That plumbing does look un American though no offence to Fred might be another country like England .

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks