bathroom roughin pipes question

Users who are viewing this thread

2MCHPSI

Reaction score
I just wanted to be sure the pipes sticking out of the basement slab are correct before trying to finish the bath.

I do not have a pic handy after the basement floor was poured, but it has 3 pipes sticking out of it.
The first pipe I am thinking is for the bathroom sink, and has a "T" in it now where the sink drain goes, and is vented. It appears it is flush where the wall would go

The second pipe is larger and is the toilet and appreas to come out 12 inches from where the wall would go.

The third pipe looks like it is flush where the wall would go and thinking it is for the tub. But I guess I have to bust up the concrete and install a pipe coming out for the tub drain. I am guessing the tub needs a trap also? I can't tell in the pics if it has one or not. What would be the best way to setup for a tub with that pipe the way it is now flush with the wall?

Does this all look ok? It is a new home construction. Any tips, ideas would be welcome. Much appreciated.

Kevin

Attachments

• pipes22222.JPG
    pipes22222.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 370

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It isn't right.

Where you have the wall line drawn, you need a vent for the tub and for the toilet.

abs_combo_left.jpg

Those vents will need to be combo on their backs.
You can tie the three vents, lav, wc, tub together at 42" from the floor.

TMB9862

Reaction score
It certainly isn't done right, I wouldn't do it like, and it probably is not up to code. Wait for a second option on this but it looks like it probably would work with the tub and toilet being wet vented through the sink since they ran 2".
You are correct about what all the pipes are for, the pipe for the tub does have a trap on it at the end so you don't have to add one unless you're moving the line. If you do break the slab to move the line defiantly install a proper vent for at least the tub.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Let me say one thing about venting and plumbing though, toilets are getting quicker,
and with quicker,
venting and angles become more important, not less important.
With five gallons, that slowly drain from the bowl, very little happened ventwise or line wise.
With some of the newer ones, the bowl drains in 2 seconds.
You can see the water in other fixtures, like back to back toilets, where the water in the other bowl is pulled out and lowered.
To me, on any "new" plumbing I do, it's going to be much better than "code allows".
The world has changed, and to me it means we will need "better" plumbing in the future, not "worse".

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's time for my Dirty Harry quote, "A man's got to know his limitations." The nature of your questions show you are not too knowledgeable about plumbing issues. That's OK, and you're right to ask. However, since all of this is literally going to be cast in concrete, don't you think this is a time to pay for a professional plumber to make certain this is done correctly? Changes and modifications at this point will be relatively quick, easy, and inexpensive.

2MCHPSI

Reaction score
thanks for the responses. I took the pics when the house was being built. It passed inspections already and we have moved in (October). Speaking with the plumbing company that installed it, it passed because it is wet vented to code (Prince William county Va.)from what they said.

Now from these responses here I am wondering if are they feeding me BS? Because I am still under warranty and if this plumbing is not code, the builder will make them do it over. But if it is technically code, but done in a cheesy way, then I will be out of luck. And yes I am certainly not a plumber, just checking the exisiting plumbing before I start. :)

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks