Bathroom remodel DWV plan - DIY Advice

Users who are viewing this thread

JayUSA123

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm planning for our bathroom remodel and was hoping for some advice on the DWV plumbing. I'm wondering if the lavatory vent can also vent the tub. The distance from the tub drain to the connection with the lavatory drain pipe (points A & B in the diagram) is approximately 5 feet. Will a wet vent work here or is the distance too far?

Also, the distance from the toilet connection to the stack is about 32". Does this still need a vent? If so, I'm planning to attach a 1.5" wye to the closet bend and take this pipe into the wall and up halfway before tying into the stack. If the toilet does need venting, would this suffice?

Thanks in advance for the expertise!
Jay

Bathroom Plan.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The lav wet vents the tub if you are running 2" to the lav trap arm, and the 2" trap arm on the tub is 60" or less.
The top of the santee for the lav can be 1.5" on the vent portion.

JayUSA123

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, Terry. So if I understand correctly, the current plan won't work since the distance from the tub to point B is already 5' itself. In order to work the total distance from A to B to lav vent would have to be 5'. Is that right?

Also, does it look like the toilet needs a vent given its proximity to the main soil stack (approx. 32" away.)

Thanks!

JayUSA123

Reaction score
Based on your previous reply, I put together another plan using a center drain tub. In this plan the distance from points A and B would be 5 feet.

Bathroom-Plan2.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The tub trap arm at:
1.5" = 42"
2.0" = 60"
We're counting the horizonal portion of the trap arm, not the vertical to the vent above the lav.
The toilet should be vented before entering a waste stack.
If that's a vent stack, then it can't enter. Water always comes in below.

JayUSA123

Reaction score
It's a waste stack. There is an existing bathroom here and that's where the toilet drains to. I have to get the walls open more to determine if there is a vent stack in there. (The house is 125 years old, so it's always a gamble.)

JayUSA123

Reaction score
It appears that IPC (used by Rhode Island I think) is more permissive than UPC, allowing a 2 inch trap arm 8 ft. You can search this forum for "Table 906.1 " This snip is from https://law.resource.org/pub/us/code/ibr/icc.ipc.2009.pdf page 72 column 2.View attachment 32439
That's right, RI uses IPC. I also just checked the RI plumbing code to see if 906.1 was specifically substituted and didn't find anything.

Thanks so much for that, Reach4. That definitely makes things easier for me.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks