bath tub faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

racer18d

Reaction score
I am currently building my own home and I am installing my bath faucets. The plumber I hired only did the rough in which is what I hired him for, now I am doing the rest. My question is he left a stub out of 1/2" copper sticking out of the wall and I was told I could use a compression fitting on that as an option to soldering it on.What I have is a Delta faucet which has a brass fitting that screws down into the faucet and that brass fitting has 1/2" pipe female threads inside.What I have is a fitting that has a compression nut and ferrel for the 1/2" copper on one end and 1/2" male pipe threads on the other. The fitting will be completely outside the wall so it is easily accessible.Thanks , Randy

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
With only a 1/2" of copper pipe sticking out of the wall I would solder on a coupling with a short piece of coppr pipe on it then what ever you decide to do attatched on to it.

That way now or in the future something happens to the copper pipe it can easily be replaced... but without that added piece if you have a problem now or in the future you will be opening up the wall to fix it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
spout

By faucet I assume you mean spout, and if you have the common Delta spout it can be screwed or sweated on. It has enough latitude that a compression fitting would work, but I would slide it over the copper and solder it in place.

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
And if you're indeed talking about the spout, you can also replace the Delta spout with a spout that has a locking screw, such as a Moen. But only 1/2" of copper coming out of the wall is a serious problem. There should have been about three inches left out of the wall that could be trimmed if necessary.

I'm always amazed at people who are more concerned at saving money than paying a professional to do plumbing, as if just anyone can do it. I've had customers who finished their own house, and I have usually been called back to do some little thing that they couldn't do, and couldn't help but notice that the work they were doing is ALWAYS substandard.

Some of the things I see are:

Angle stops where they should be straight and vice-versa
supply tubes made of short-lived inferior materials
cobbled up tub spouts
extremely poor caulking
traps and tubing improperly installed
water heaters incorrectly installed
inferior faucets with less than a one year life

. . . and so on.

racer18d

Reaction score
I didn't mean 1/2" was sticking out of the wall , the size of the tubing is 1/2". there is about 3-4" sticking out of the wall.As for the other, I prefer to do some things myself because of the gratification and not because of the money!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you have Delta tub /faucet trim, then the fitting for the tub spout would solder onto the 1/2" copper pipe stubbed out for the spout.
Then the tub spout would spin on to the brass fitting that comes with the trim package.

http://www.deltafaucet.com/media/Pr..._Installation/25001to50000/48312RevC_dbcd.pdf

canvas.tif

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks