Basement Design Software

Users who are viewing this thread

bilgirami

Reaction score
Hey Guys, a newbie here. I have gone through some of the discussion threads and I have found them to be very useful. So I have decided to sign up and draw on the knowledge people here have. So here goes my first question...

Is there a free software out there that I could use to do a rough layout of my basement. I do not need anything very elaborate but something basic that I could use for a floor plan and put measurements on.

GabeS

Remodel Contractor
Reaction score
I agree with hj. You don't need any software for a basement remodel. You can lay it out on paper or actually put down rope or spray paint the actual floors to get a feel of layout.

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
Sometimes learning how the software works takes longer then actually laying it out on paper
I just take measurements & draw it out on paper fro simple stuff
For more in depth stuff I have 3 different software programs - but not free. One is better for floor plans, another better for kitchen design

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
HJ, GabeS, stop being a pair of old fogies , we are in the digital age, get with it guys.

I do agree a pencil squares and other old school drafting tools work fine. I was so p***ed that a contractor would not let me bid a job unless I had a full working legit version of Auto Cad. I did eventually get a legit version from my friends at Auto Desk for a song and a dance and being a beta tester. But heck what about the poor guys out there that can not lay down them kind of big bucks.

BikerDave

Reaction score
Computer vs paper

Having a computer when diagramming definitely helps. When I did my kitchen, I laid out everything as it was, then started playing around with designs. This helped me figure out what was achievable and not. You can see the process I went through at http://www.thegoodrumfamily.com/ayrlee.kitchen and you can see that using a computer vs paper has many benefits.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
FloorPlanner.com

Try this online software.

Working with a client now in Toronto who is using FloorPlanner.com

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
You can switch between metric and imperial measurements and rotate the view any way you like. Looks pretty awesome to me.

I used these pictures and the clients drawing to order a new ACO linear shower drain and complete NobleSeal CIS waterproofing package for my client.

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; You can switch between metric and imperial measurements

A good feature IF you live on the USA/Canada border. Otherwise just something to brag about.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; HJ, GabeS, stop being a pair of old fogies , we are in the digital age, get with it guys.

I was a senior systems analyst and programmer at a university; Then constructed and operated a 60 computer network at an elementary school so I AM with the digital age. But I still told the guys from IBM, that "IBM means It is Better Manually". Some people insist on using "technology" because they have it, when it is overkill for what they want to do. A thousand tweets is not always better than a 2 minute phone call.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Whatever you do, read up on how to insulate foundation walls without creating moisture traps & mold farms when finishing a basement.

The solutions that work vary by climate. There a several threads covering the topic on this site.

I use all sorts of digital tools in my daily work, but wouldn't bother for a basement floor plan. I might use SketchUp or similar for specifying moisture-resilient wall stackup details, if I wasn't going to do the work my self, but it's easier to just search out jpegs of similar detail drawings on the web.

The pretty rendering tools with the 3D aspects feel like architects' marketing tools- selling the client on the concept with a visual, more than a design tool for construction.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
quote; You can switch between metric and imperial measurements

A good feature IF you live on the USA/Canada border. Otherwise just something to brag about.

Easy there Tiger. You know tile is sold in metric sizes.

And the entire world uses Metric.

And calls Soccer Football...... LOL

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote;
And the entire world uses Metric. And calls Soccer Football.....

"Entire" mean there are no exceptions, so where does that leave the U.S.A. other than out in front of everyone else? And, when we say "loonie" we are talking about someone off their rocker, not money.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Loonie - that was a bad call.

Metric is far superior to Imperial measurements. It's just a little hard for american's to figure out. Groups of ten and the like vs groups of eighth's. Spoke two days back with a new client in Beverly Hills. He is designing his bathroom with floor planner and is working in Imperial. When the plan is done we can switch the design to metric and see how the tile layout works.

My job right now has 8' ceilings. The tile is 1'x2' (or is it?). Eight tiles comes up an inch short....

Now FootBall. That's just rude. American Football should never have been named that in the first place. I would like that switched please.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
It's really more akin to rugby than soccer (with different passing rules and a lot more armor)- I move we call it "American Rugby" ! ;)

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
American Rugby? Is Rugby not just Rugby?

Rugby is a manly game. I like it but never played. Can not risk the injuries that come weekly for the players. My old teacher was a player and showed up all the time at school with black eyes. Broken fingers and the like....

LOL

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks