Basement bathroom layout

Users who are viewing this thread

chronojosh

Reaction score
Basement  Drains & Vents.jpg Basement Bathroom Drains & Vents.jpg Long time lurker, first time poster. I have seen some great advice on here and now I need some for myself. I am planning on installing a bathroom in my basement and I wanted to verify that what I am planning will work before I do it and have it inspected. I don't want to have to do it twice. In the attached photo, I am going to replace my 4" cast iron main septic with 4" sch. 40 pvc (light blue line), then I will install a 4"x3" wye for my new bathroom. Right off of the 4"x3" wye will be a 3"x3" wye 1/8 bend on it's back for my toilet. Continuing from the straight part of the wye I will install a 3"x2" reducer, then a 3' section of 2" pipe, then a 2"x2" wye 1/8 bend on its back for a sink, then continue on for 3' for a shower p-trap. The sink drain/vent (I'm hoping) will be my wet vent for the whole group. It will be a 2" line that ties back into my main stack in the attic, and will vent through the roof. I am thinking this arrangement will work, but I have seen a lot of places where the toilet is NOT the last fixture on the line. Any advice would help. Thanks in advance! Oh picture 2 is what it should look like overhead.

chronojosh

Reaction score
Basement Bathroom Isometric.jpg Here's an isometric if it helps. My concern making sure everything is vented. I am in Connecticut, and we use the IPC here, soon to be 2012 edition.

Reach4

Reaction score
Anybody? 67 views and no replies....
Identifying defects is easier to come by than approvals.

I am not a pro.

"3x3 wye 1/8 bend faces up for toilet flange" -- what does that mean?

chronojosh

Reaction score
fullysprinklered: I wil lhave the pipes pitched at 1/4" per foot so no worries there about that. Thanks.
Reach4: That statement means that I will have a 3" x 3" x 3" wye on its back with a street 45 coming off the wye arm. The 45 will point up to allow me to plumb to the toilet flange. The straight part of the wye will continue on to a 3" x2" reducer, then it will pick up my bathroom sink with a wye and 45 set up just like the toilet but in 2" size. After that it continues to the p-trap for my shower.

chronojosh

Reaction score
What I am just trying to make certain of is that with the way I have it set up, the bathroom group is being vented by the 2" sink vent/drain by wet wet venting.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The 2" lav will wet vent the shower.
I prefer to wye off for the toilet, mainly because you can use a medium 90 or closet bend there.
Putting a wye fitting on it's back may not give you enough room. A santee on it's back doesn't guide the waste down the line. I've pulled pipes apart where the high end 2" was getting plugged with waste from the toilet.
I know you mention a wye fitting, but when that is all dug out, you may not have room for one on the vertical.

chronojosh

Reaction score
Due to other obstructions and nearby floor drains, I can't wye off again to add the toilet. I do have the main line that I will tie my branch into exposed, and I will have enough room for the wye on it's back. I did a dry fit of all the fixtures on the branch I will be adding, so I know the layout and pitch will work. I just wanted to make sure that having that one vent will work for the whole group, especially the toilet since it will be downstream of the vent. I also laid it out that way so that both the sink and the shower will flush the line as it goes by the toilet.

chronojosh

Reaction score
So the inspector passed my plumbing, but didn't really look at anything. He stopped by, looked it over for about 1 minute, dumped about a gallon of water down the new line an had me flush the upstairs toilet, and said I'm all set! I can now go ahead and fill the trench and put down the new concrete. The one issue I noticed after I finished the plumbing and after the inspector left is that one of my pipes is too high! The 2" line from my sink to my shower had to pitch at a little over 1/2" per foot to get over a floor drain line. About 2' of that pipe before it gets to the p-trap will only allow my slab to be 3" thick at that spot, and will be directly on the pipe. Is this ok? I know that it may crack in this spot, but I am not sure about continuing at this point.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I have seen a lot of places where the toilet is NOT the last fixture on the line.

Do you have any idea how limited bathroom and plumbing designs would be if the toilet ALWAYS had to be the last fixture on the line?

quote;#2. . He stopped by, looked it over for about 1 minute, dumped about a gallon of water down the new line an had me flush the upstairs toilet, and said I'm all set!

I guess you get the quality of inspector that you pay for.

chronojosh

Reaction score
No bribe, he wasn't very friendly either. Maybe because there was no bribe! Anyway, HJ, thank you for absoltely no construtive feedback.

Reach4

Reaction score
I would add some extra steel reinforcement mesh set to be just below center in the thinner concrete.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I guess you get the quality of inspector that you pay for.

I am sure they are not at the top of the pay scale in your area, and if they were REALLY good, they would be working in the trade and making a good salary. In many cases inspectors are contractors who could not make it and went busted. When they do an "inspection" like that they are just concerned with their paycheck NOT whether it was done properly or not. I am surprised he didn't just leave your approval sticker in your mailbox while he drove by.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Everyplace is different, and you never know what you will get until you do it. Some inspectors are really into it and enjoy the work. My last plumbing inspection was done by a retired electrician, but did a fine job regardless. In some places the inspection process is much about tax revenue and little about quality workmanship.

Reach4

Reaction score
I have a feeling that chronojosh did quality workmanship, and that may have been apparent enough.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
One customer told me about a construction site in St. Louis. There were two building similar to Chicago's Marina Towers. They called for a plumbing inspection and after the inspection, the inspector said it was the best job he had ever seen. The only problem was he inspected the wrong builing, the one without ANY plumbing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks