Basement bathroom addition & laundry reconfigure layout

Users who are viewing this thread

polymath

Reaction score
I've been lurking here for some time now and (hopefully) have learned quite a bit. It's time to put it to a test!

I'm adding a basement bathroom and reconfiguring my laundry plumbing. I'd like some feedback on my layout plan. Hopefully this picture details my current layout well.

basement_layout-800.jpg

This ties into my existing waste stack. Currently it's a 2" kitchen drain with a 1.5" vent through roof. Under the slab pipe size increases to 3", servicing the existing laundry tub & floor drain. The existing laundry tub drain will be removed and floor drain replaced, as seen in image.

I will install a 2" AAV high on the laundry side of the wall above the 2" double sanitary tee.

Is it ok to drain the laundry tub into the 2" sanitary tee on kitchen drain? If so, can this use the 2" kitchen drain as a wet vent or should I vent it to the AAV that I am installing?

Is there any issues with me using the 3x3x3 wye and the section of 3" pvc to the shower? It's overkill I know, but that's my nature.

Are there any other issues that I am not seeing?
Thanks in advance.

polymath

Reaction score
The floor drain needs venting and the shower needs venting.

Thanks for your feedback Terry.
Is the shower a problem because I am attempting to wet vent it around a wye? I am within an acceptable trap to vent length for 2".
As I understand it adding a vent to this would be a pretty easy fix. Install a wye rolled up at 45 degrees in the shower drain and branch vent it to AAV stack. Correct?
Flat vent - horizontal vent connection.PNG

I totally overlooked the floor drain vent since there was none originally. I did not take into account any changes in code since 1942 or how adding a toilet upstream would effect it. This one is a challenge. It's in the middle of the room, and its downstream plumbing is not close to any walls. Also as I understand it I cannot run a dry vent for any distance under the slab. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The washer can't be used to wet vent a shower. There is way too much water going through for that.
Wet venting is for bathroom sets on the same floor.

polymath

Reaction score
After a re-read of the Mighigan code book I've made some changes. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

basement_layout_4-800.jpg

polymath

Reaction score
Thanks again Terry for your feedback so far, it has been a big help.
I think I've finally come up with a solution that solves the floor drain issue and groups the bath group properly.

In this layout by rolling that first 3x3x3 wye 45 degrees it elevates the kitchen and laundry branch enough that I can attach the laundry floor drain to that branch. Then I can add an individual vent in the new wall that will enclose the existing kitchen drain.

Any additional feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

basement_layout_8-800.jpg

Meng

Reaction score
Thanks again Terry for your feedback so far, it has been a big help.
I think I've finally come up with a solution that solves the floor drain issue and groups the bath group properly.

In this layout by rolling that first 3x3x3 wye 45 degrees it elevates the kitchen and laundry branch enough that I can attach the laundry floor drain to that branch. Then I can add an individual vent in the new wall that will enclose the existing kitchen drain.

Any additional feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

View attachment 23173
Polymath, how did your project end up? Any pics/drawings of the finished design, or thoughts on how it's working after 2 years, things you might do differently, etc? Starting to plan a basement plumbing project, and gathering info on design/layout.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You have created a monstrosity. One rule of drainage is that an OVERSIZED drain line is worse than an undersized one and MOST of your 3" piping creates oversized drain lines. Your trap is STILL not vented and a deep seal trap does not eliminate the need for one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks