bad, Noisy bearings?

Users who are viewing this thread

Yad Forthenslosh

Reaction score
Dear Those That Know,
I have a Sta-rite well pump (code 1k95d, Model MSE-6) that has gotten progressively noisy while operating. I must also trip the pressure switch by hand every few days which is usually brought on by multiple water use in the house. I can replace the pressure switch myself, if that is needed, but the pump is a different story. Can one person get a new pump and replace the old one alone? I have no fear of the plumbing part, or the electrical part, but I have never done this before and therefore must look for the potential problems that may crop up. Do I return the old pump for a "Core Charge"? Do I replace the bearings only and continue with the same (10 year old) motor? What is the going rate for a new pump and for a new pump installed by a plumber? Where do I look to purchase a new pump?
I live in Orlando, Florida, and I thank any who would offer good council on this. I'll spend the money on a professional if neccessary, but I think I can do the work on my own, if I can determine what, exactly needs to be done. Thanks again for any good advise.

Yad

Raucina

Reaction score
I have a spa pump that is 15 years old and another guy would have changed it three times. I changed the bearings twice, the seal three times and the start switch once. Incredibly it seems the start capacitor is original.

Horizontal booster pump: Myers - burned windings. New motor from Myers was 345$ [proprietary design - not available off the shelf ] which is more than the entire unit cost. This is really a toss out society.

I beat Myers by buying a replacement 1HP motor from graingers for 95$ which by good sleuthing seemed the same motor shell and make. I pulled the stator from the old motor which had the peculiar shaft end and stuck it into the new motor. Perfect match. Beat the sad system.

Point is that you can do it if you have some skill. If you pulled dads watch apart as a kid and tune up your car, go ahead. Otherwise buy a new motor and get someone to install it. When it comes to small jet pumps sometimes the whole unit is indeed cheaper to replace.

Get your core charge by taking it to the scrap yard and recycling it.

Speedbump

Reaction score
What you have is a Sta-Rite vertical jet two stage pump. The motor is not used on any other pump but that one. Therefore it is very expensive. That pump is extremely hard to get apart and back together again. I hate to see on come in the door. You can buy a replacement from whoever you can find that sells Sta-Rite pumps including Sears. They make a few changes for Sears that you won't find on an ordinary Sta-Rite pump though.

The next thing is: how is it mounted. It is piped on top of the well, offset with piping or is it bolted on the casing adaptor with two bolts underneath the flange?

If it is bolted my Betta Flo will bolt on in it's place. It is an exact duplicate where the flanges go together. It uses a standard C-Face motor also.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks