At wit's end regarding icemaker and dishwasher lines

Users who are viewing this thread

JHZR2

Reaction score
Subject about says it all. Doing kitchen renovation, put in undersink valves for icemaker (on cold) and dishwasher (on hot).

Then I read about not using PE for the icemaker. Of course that's what I bought. Then I read about those floodsafe hoses cracking and leaking at the connection, which it did. And on and on.

So, need practical recommendations.

I bought Watts US made 25' copper 1/4 inch line for the icemaker. Ill use that, since I cant easily find any good PEX lines with metal fittings locally.

For the dishwasher, Im so confused... We had a floodsafe stainless braided line, and it leaks before we even ran the dishwasher...

So what should I use? Samsung recommends minimum 3/8" OD copper tubing or stainless braided. Id prefer copper, but any tubing that is 3/8" OD is type UT or refrigeration type, NOT for hot water service. Plus, I cant seem to find the right compression to 3/8" NPT for this tubing. The valve on the other side is sized for 3/8. So what do I use?

Is there a recommended PEX line for the icemaker? Is Copper really best, and if so, how big of a copper coil should I leave behind the refrigerator?

Thanks very much!

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
We use a stainless braided supply line from the icemaker box. No Floodsafes.
We also use the stainless braided on the dishwasher line.

Type L soft copper can also be used for either. 1/4" for the icemaker and 3/8" for the dishwasher.
The dishwasher may need a 3/8" MIP x 3/8 90 el compression fitting.

JHZR2

Reaction score
Thanks!

What confused me is 3/8 OD vs 3/8id, since samsung recommends 3/8 OD copper. That causes an issue of no type L, at the box stores; only type UT and refrigeration rated copper.

And no long non-flood safes at the yellow and blue box stores by me. Amazingly.

So your recommendation is braided line for a 10 ft run to the ice maker? I put Cu in but if I can find the braided, can do a swap. Is there a brand I can look for specifically? I can hit real Plumbing supply companies on Monday.

Thanks!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I have used 1/4" refrigeration tubing for icemakers for over 6 decades without any problem. Get rid of the Floodsafe and use a plain 72" braided dishwasher connection. There are many ways to convert from 3/8" to 1/4" (3/8" o.d.), but the easiest way is to use a valve with a 1/4" outlet.

Reactions: SHR

JHZR2

Reaction score
So refrigeration and utility grade tubing is ok? Thanks for the reassurance.

But it begs the question, if it's not an issue, then why isn't thinner wall tubing used elsewhere in homes? Since copper is relatively expensive, why not go that route in general? Just asking...

And, if dishwashers want 3/8 OD tubing, why don't they actually make a plumbing grade that can be used? My old dishwasher had all soldered connections coming up and straight to the fitting to feed it. These plastic hoses make me uneasy.

Thanks!

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Are those floodsafe hoses even made for hot water ?

They look like a joke to me.

I Never used one and never will.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
They do MAKE it, it is just that few places stock it, and the dynamics of small tubing mean that it is almost impossible to "rupture" it other than by freezing.

JHZR2

Reaction score
Ok, so it's box store stupidity coupled with not really mattering much for that tube size.

I'm going to use copper for the icemaker, as I've seen many complaints of PVC innards of stainless braided hoses imparting a taste into the water. Since the only thing I will do with water from my refrigerator is drink it that is a bit of a concern and running copper is very easy.

If it was your home would you type the dishwasher with a stainless steel braided hose or with 3/8 inch refrigeration tubing? I can do either.

And after I solve this my next task is to try and find US-made black pipe fittings so I can move my cast-iron radiator...

Thanks for the help!!

DonL

Reaction score
Copper is Good.

If you put a Loop behind the refrigerator you can pull it out to clean behind and under it.

Makes the water filter easier to change also.

DougB

Reaction score
Just to clarify: Copper tube comes in 4 wall thicknesses: K, L, M and DWV.

All copper tubing is 99.9% copper.

K is the thickest - I don't think you will see it in the retail market - green stripe.
L is commonly used for water and low pressure refrigeration - blue stripe.
M is used for hydronic (hot water heat) - red stripe.
DWV is drainage/waste/vent - very thin, won't find this retail either - black / yellow /orange stripe.

Now for this OD / ID thing. For some reason? plumbers use ID (indside diameter) and refrigeration uses OD (outside diameter). The difference is 1/8" (1/16" wall thickness) - so 3/8" od is 1/4" id... just need to add / subtract 1/8" to convert from OD to ID or vise-versa

At big-box stores they sell the 'hard' copper by ID - 1/2" ID - common plumbing tubing is 5/8" OD.

However they sell the soft copper (rolls) by OD - 1/2" OD is 3/8" ID.

Reach4

Reaction score
If you are going to send RO water to an ice maker, you should use poly rather than copper.

DonL

Reaction score
If you are going to send RO water to an ice maker, you should use poly rather than copper.

Why is that ?

Leaching ?

Does the same to your body.

Putting Chlorine in your water is worse for you and your pipes and septic system.

Last edited:

DonL

Reaction score
So all the cities in the US are wrong to chlorinate the water?

For reusing sewer water, Yes.

The water still has all of the shit in it, but it is dead.

If you can smell the chlorine, it has to much to drink.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks