Asking for some line size help...

Users who are viewing this thread

painterjoe

Reaction score
I am trying to plan the finishing of my two story addition. I live in Washington state so I am assuming this falls under the guidelines of the UPC. What I want to do is have a laundry room w/shower, sink and john on the first floor. Opposite this, there will be a kitchen with a sink. (opposite meaning on the other side of a 2X6 wall). On the second floor, I would like to have a half bath and opposite this, would be a full bath with walk-in shower. Maybe throw in a claw foot tub too. Again, opposite being on the other side of a 2X6 wall. The downstairs kitchen would be below the upstairs full bath and the downstairs laundry bath area would be below the upstairs half bath. I am trying to have a single large vent exiting the roof and also have all the drains tie into this single main stack and drain.
So I have a couple of questions to ask. ( I don't know how many total fixture 'units' this equates to)
I don't know how feasible this is, is it? Could I get away with 3" drain line or is 4" going to be what I need? Would it be better to try and vent the upper full bath separately? I am trying to stay away from exterior wall piping, but don't know if that applies to dmv stuff for codes/freezing/nail issues. If I can use a smaller vent pipe for all of this, where does the transition(s) take place? Anyhow, that is where I am at. When I called the county, all I got was get your permit and we will tell you what to do. That's nice, but I want to know what to do before I have to actually do it and am tied down with meeting permit requirements on their schedule. (I like to plan ahead for costs and etc.)
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
What you are asking is WAY beyond what anyone should attempt to answer by an E-mail or Internet post. I am surprised the county even said that. Usually they say, "bring us a COMPLETE set of drawings showing what you intend to do and we will reject them until you get it right, because we are NOT in the design business,"

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I am trying to plan the finishing of my two story addition. I live in Washington state so I am assuming this falls under the guidelines of the UPC. What I want to do is have a laundry room w/shower, sink and john on the first floor. Opposite this, there will be a kitchen with a sink. (opposite meaning on the other side of a 2X6 wall). On the second floor, I would like to have a half bath and opposite this, would be a full bath with walk-in shower. Maybe throw in a claw foot tub too. Again, opposite being on the other side of a 2X6 wall. The downstairs kitchen would be below the upstairs full bath and the downstairs laundry bath area would be below the upstairs half bath. I am trying to have a single large vent exiting the roof and also have all the drains tie into this single main stack and drain.
So I have a couple of questions to ask. ( I don't know how many total fixture 'units' this equates to)
I don't know how feasible this is, is it? Could I get away with 3" drain line or is 4" going to be what I need? Would it be better to try and vent the upper full bath separately? I am trying to stay away from exterior wall piping, but don't know if that applies to dmv stuff for codes/freezing/nail issues. If I can use a smaller vent pipe for all of this, where does the transition(s) take place? Anyhow, that is where I am at. When I called the county, all I got was get your permit and we will tell you what to do. That's nice, but I want to know what to do before I have to actually do it and am tied down with meeting permit requirements on their schedule. (I like to plan ahead for costs and etc.)
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

You're in Washington. Give Terry a call, he can take care of the whole job for you.

MaxWarp

Reaction score
You're going to need a 4" line. You have too many fixtures going down one line to be less than that. You're also going to need at least a 3" vent to the roof for all of this. You'll be able to tie to together for the vent but not reduce it. I'm also surprised that the county would offer any help trying to design anything.

painterjoe

Reaction score
4 inch iit is...

You're going to need a 4" line. You have too many fixtures going down one line to be less than that. You're also going to need at least a 3" vent to the roof for all of this. You'll be able to tie to together for the vent but not reduce it. I'm also surprised that the county would offer any help trying to design anything.

Thanks everybody for the help. Since I have to have at least a 3 inch vent, then I will plan on using 4 inch throughout, just to be safe.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It appears that you only have three toilets, and if so, you onlY NEED a 3" pipe and it would be better than using 4". The size of the vent is usually predicated upon the size of your main line, therefore, if you have a 4" main, the total area, not diameters, of the vent through the roof would have to equal the area of a 4" pipe, meaning either a 4" vent or a 3" vent PLUS a couple of smaller ones.

Last edited:

MaxWarp

Reaction score
HJ, I'm not questioning you as you're a licensed professional but wouldn't 3 toilets, plus sinks, laundry, etc overload a 3" possibly? If everybody flushes at once while the laundry is draining wouldn't that be a little much? Just trying to be more educated as a DIYer. Thanks!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
With UPC, there is no need for 4" until the forth toilet is added on the horizontal.
You could run that entire stack with a 2" vent if you also have other vents in the home to make up the composite area. For a three bath home, that is normally
3" or two 2" and one 1.5"
For a four bath home,
4" or four 2" vents

A pretty typical two bath setup with 2" vent.

dwv_b2.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks