AO Smith Vertex VS Rheem Prestige

Discussion in 'Water Heater Forum, Tanks' started by njbillt, Mar 11, 2014.

1. njbillt

njbillt New Member

2. black88mx6

black88mx6 New Member

I have also been interested in both of these units. I have yet to find any reviews on the Rheem unit; but like the Rheem brand more than AO Smith. The RHE50 is the model for Rheem that I have been looking at.
  3. njbillt

njbillt New Member

The RHE50 is the unit I am leaning towards too, mostly because of the negative reviews on the AO Smith and their customer service and warranty complaints. I was really hoping someone in here had some first hand opinion.

4. the smith vertex is a dog and should be avoided at all costs...

I recently tangled with a customer that insisted on getting one from someone else a few years ago and it never worked right from the get-go..... I was able to warranty out the 50 gal vertex for a 75 gallon power vent through Smith... that would have solved all their problems with the circuit board issues

I bent over backwards for them but they were only interested in this if I were to do it all for free, They would not pay me a dime to get them out of a jam.... The wife claims that they are selling their 350k house this spring and hope to pass their problems on to the next owner.
    ..... They are still fighting with it to my knowledge.... so piss on them....

the Rheem is just a better name.... but I really dont trust any of them

I would rather stay away from both of them because you are the guniee pig that
    they are experimenting on... if you have troubles then its hell to get a service tech that knows what he is doing asap

A 75 gallon power vent is a better choice over a 50 gallon vertex or rheem unit.. simply because they have all the kinks out of the power vents.... and you have more volume with less troubles
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  5. njbillt

njbillt New Member

Thank you. This is the kind of response I was hoping for, and pretty much what I have read about the Vertex. I may still go with the Rheem though unless somebody has a negative experience to share. The Smith does have some bad reviews online.
  6. Dana

Dana In the trades

The Vertex has undergone several revisions since it's first incarnation. I woudn't assume the current versions to have the same issues as the early revs from "...a few years ago...", but can't guarantee that you won't. They shipped way too many units before the design was really ready for prime-time, and are paying for it in bad reviews. There are many happy customers out there even using them for space heating combi units (which they are rated for), and there are customers like Mark's who sound like the type who would ever be happy unless the thing did their laundry for them while they were away or something.

Sounds like Mark's real problem is with the insane client who insisted on getting stuck with an early rev lemon and don't believe in paying for competent service or advice.

It's not entirely clear that going with a first-generation Rheem will be any better, given that it's design with no track record in the field.
  7. njbillt

njbillt New Member

Thank you for this input. I talked to someone at Smith and they said the unit is as good as the installation. If I read between the lines from what he told me, the problem was condensation. But it's a condensing unit, so I don't know what to think. Rheem may be a new product too, but their customer service has a better rating. AO Smith had complaints about service no matter which unit people owned.
    Daves-feet-R-wet likes this.
  8. Daves-feet-R-wet

Daves-feet-R-wet New Member

Did you purchase the Rheem? I find myself preparing to replace (preventatively) a 10 year old Rheem and my current plumber is recommending the OA Smith. A very good plumber, but they may simply support Smith because they get favorable dealer terms?

9. remember that plumbers sometimes install something that gives them a kick-back
    Smith has a rewards program incentive that gives the plumber points towards TVs and plane tickets, so remember this when getting advice ........

I dont need a kick back to install a Rheem heater....they are the best
    . but I certainly would want something to install a Vertex, cause I know I will be probably be paying dearly for this decision down the road....wehn I am standing on my head trying to repair the unit a year from now.....