Any ideas how to get this grate open?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
http://i.imgur.com/CSXWX3bh.jpg

I want to open it so I can have the softener drain into it when it regenerates. However, it's been sitting there for 30 years and (it's gotten wet before) it seems like it's corroded/rusted/whatever. I think there is one screw on either side (flat head) but I'm pretty sure they're not going anywhere (I certainly cant get it to budge...I actually cant even get the screwdriver to fit properly).

Any ideas what to do? I was thinking I could get a pry bar and try to pry it open.

Thanks!

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
First thing is to clean up the slot. Second is to get some penetrating oil soaking on it. Third is to get an impact screwdriver that you hit with a hammer. I suspect it will either let loose or break off the head of the screw, either of which should liberate the cover.

That said however, sticking a softener drain tube down it probably violates air gap requirements. You may know that and be planning to make a standpipe to put in it that you can then have a proper air gap on.

Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas! Yeah, I've learned enough over at the softener section to know that I need an air gap, fear not!

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
You could use a screw extractor. You can buy a set or individual extractors that come with a drill bit. You drill a hole in the striped screw and then insert the screw extractor. It has reversed spiral threads so that as you tighten it up, it will loosen the screw. Most hardware stores sell them.

http://www.irwin.com/tools/screw-bolt-extractors/spiral-extractor-drill-bit-537-series-combo-packs

Another option might be to just drill the screw out. In your home, you may not need to screw the cover in place.

Reaction score
Got it open! Surprisingly one screw came out after some work. The other didnt budge. So i used a pry bar. :p

Thanks all!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks