Another Toilet / Sink Vent Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Local781

Reaction score
I had posted another thread and received great information and appreciate it greatly. This weekend I got everything mocked up, sink, toilet etc, so just waiting on my friend who is a former union plumber, now has his own thing going, very well established, well known (in a good way)

In the meanwhile, I am curious to learn more about venting. If the bathroom which is on the first floor and will drain into basement into a new tie in....if I tie a vent into this drain that slopes upward at least 1/8 per running foot which I hear is the rule of thumb that ties into the basement sink and washer vent that goes directly to the main roof / soil pipe vent..is this acceptable or must I run a entirely new roof / soil vent for this new bathroom?

Here is a rough picture of what I mean. The basement sink / washer is about 15 feet from where the drain will connect to the sewer / drain line in my house that then goes out to the street.

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Purple could NOT connect between the vent and drain, until AFTER it had risen at least 42" above the floor on the upper level, OR 6" above the sink, whichever is HIGHER. Even then, however, most inspectors would reject it because of the downward direction, even if it were sloped.

Local781

Reaction score
I know this may seem like a stupid question, I do appreciate the input and patience

ok, so basically with the drain coming down into basement, tying a vent off that really one work? best bet will be once sink / toilet drain is tied together in basement it really needs to be heading up and out through roof etc...the sketch sucks but basically something like this purple line? both toilet and sink tied together then out...

1549567_10151982824208110_347730943_n.jpg

I am searching google for schematics now...so I can see how this is suppose to be

Last edited:

Local781

Reaction score
I see what you mean now, sink vent needs to be above trap. I have a front hall opposite of the bathroom, this might be a good place to run the vents, have sink vent come through wall then up as above front hall is closet, then attic.

thanks for the diagram, I just want to prepare the space, have stuff ready at least in the ballpark for when my friend comes to do the install...so if I have him do pipes in the small front hall area I will have it cleared out and be ready to make a nice wood surround when done, it is an old house, a lot of stuff has been changed for instance when doing my wall mount tv, someone years ago had removed the fireplace and the wall was comprised of 10 true 2 X 4's stacked in top of each other covered in cement and mesh....my quick afternoon job turned into much more than that, the house is well built but can be tricky as clowns have worked on it I the past, I want to make sure all is done, legal, safe and a clean install.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks