Another DIY tub to shower conversion

Users who are viewing this thread

123-PVC

Reaction score
Hello all,

Great forum. I've been lurking a lot and learning a lot! As the title says I'm converting my bathroom from an 80's style jacuzzi tub to a walk in shower. This forum seems to be the go-to place for quality DIY advice.

I need to move the drain and re-route the supply lines and I have a lot of questions. I'll start with the shower drain.

I know I'm required to have a 2" drain for the shower. Is this a 2" pipe?

measurement-e1438380770309.jpg

If it's not a 2" pipe, does it "look" like the drain gets bigger after the p-trap? In other words, what would it take to install a 2" pipe? Also, I'll need to redirect the drain line a little bit, I think about 45 degrees, do you see enough "room" to cut off the drain pipe at the p trap to reroute with a 45 degree pvc elbow?

close-up.jpg

Lastly, well...not really lastly, but for this post at least... I'll need to reroute the shower supply lines. Should I just drill straight through the floor and sill plate and run the lines up from the crawl space, directly between the wall...on the other side of that floor joist.

shower-supply.jpg

Thanks in advance for any advice! This forum has been a great resource thus far. And even if I do decide to hire a professional for this part of the instal, it sure helps to know what I'm asking for!

Reach4

Reaction score
A 2 inch PVC pipe is 2.375 inches OD. I can't tell you about the other pipe's size.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You look to have a 2" p-trap that is bushed down to 1.5" on the vertical.

Cut off the p-trap and relocate under the shower drain. You can use up to 135 degrees of change on the trap arm.
That's a 90 and a 45.
More than likely you may be only using a 45.

123-PVC

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Moving the supply lines turned out to be more tricky than I had originally thought, so I called in the pros! Great forum. Thanks again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks