another bathroom rough in

Users who are viewing this thread

jakedvm

Reaction score
Hi, I am trying to figure out what these pipes mean in the rough in for our basement. The 3 inch is obviously for the water closet, and the others I'm not sure. Any help? The 2 inch pipe on the left will be in the wall and 16 inches from wall behind shelves. Is the pipe coming up in the middle the vent/lav drain? I don't hear water coming down this when any of the other bathrooms are in use.

Thanks,
Jake

Attachments

• IMG_7254_1_3_1.JPG
    IMG_7254_1_3_1.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 573

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
Not a pro, but here's my guess.

3" is toilet waste drain.

Short capped pipe on left is sink/lavatory waste drain.

Pipe in the middle is vent.

jakedvm

Reaction score
I was curious to know if it doesn't look like there is a shower/tub drain roughed in. Anybody else?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A sink drain and a toilet drain go straight down to the main sewer line - they don't have water in them normally and no trap. On the other hand, if you had a pipe in the floor for a tub or a shower, it must have the trap below it, thus, it would be in the floor. If you looked into this, unless it dried out (which is quite possible), you'd see standing water. It is not uncommon to leave a box around the drain for a tub or shower so you can get the trap centered on the thing once installed. Without being there, it is sometimes hard to tell (in fact, often hard to tell!).

Cal

In the Trades
Reaction score
Cut that shorter pipe off a few inches from the floor and pour some water down it to see if it's trapped. I think it looks like a tub rough in.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would think it's a half bath.

The 2" would be the toilet vent, which is reventing at 42" on the next floor.

The 1.5" pipe would be a lav drain, which needs to be revented over to the 2" vent.

Unless I'm wrong, because I'm not there and I'm guessing off of a picture.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks