Americast Mortar Bed

Users who are viewing this thread

cpowers

Reaction score
Having looked all over the internet and this forum I have found alot of conflicting information, or info that does not apply to my situation. I will post what I plan on doing, if anyone would be kind enough to confirm for deny my methodology.

The tub states that it does not require a mortar base, but I want this job done thoroughly.

In order from top to bottom
Americast Tub
4 mil plastic sheeting
Sand mix (5 dollops appx 2-4 cups each) around the base
4 mil plastic sheeting
Exterior glue plywood

Thank you!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That sounds fine.
Americast doesn't require the mortar under that tub, but it also doesn't hurt to install it that way. It will remove some of the flex.
More and more, I'm seeing mortar as a suggestion for installing pans and tubs.
It never used to be that way. I have recommended it here on my website for years, and many of the ideas I've come up with, have now taken on their own life. Sometimes I see instructions that I've posted here that have been copied verbatim by the manufacturers.

americast-tub-instructions-1.jpg

Last edited:

cpowers

Reaction score
Thank you, nice to have confirmation, I firmly believe in only doing things once (very lazy). Hopefully you believe that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, ha!

Chris

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
A friend called me one day and said his drop in tub was coming off the deck. When I looked at it, one of the water lines had a leak and whatever they used as bedding was expanding and lifting the tub off the floor.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks