American Standard seat holes are misaligned

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by Justtaint, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Justtaint

Justtaint New Member

I've searched all over the internet and can't find a similar problem, but I'm hoping someone can come up with a better suggestion than just replace the toilet. The toilet was installed by the previous owner, who appears to have remodeled the bathroom sometime in the past 4-5 years. The problem is that the holes for the toilet seat were drilled incorrectly at the factory, and its impossible to center the seat.

I can take pictures of the problem (visually its pretty easy to see that they aren't right), if necessary. Not sure what model of AS toilet, if someone can tell me where the model # is stamped I'll look for it.

Is there any way to correct this?

Thanks
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Can you post of picture of it?
  3. Justtaint

Justtaint New Member

I'll try and post a picture later tonight, don't have time to take off the seat right now. Its not off by much maybe 1/4"-1/2" but its enough that the seat doesn't sit right.
  4. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Poor quality is a real problem at American Standard. Toilet seats bolt patterns are standard spaced, so different brands of seats will fit any toilet.
  5. Justtaint

Justtaint New Member

Here's the best picture I could come up with, its kinda hard to tell, but I think you can see the holes are just a bit off.

Attached Files:

6. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

Hammer & chisel will solve that problem.Sorry about that comment,but that
    is bad.As many toilets that I have installed,never saw anything like that.
    Take it back to where you got it.
  7. Justtaint

Justtaint New Member

That's the problem, it was in the house when we purchased the home. I was hoping I wouldn't have to replace the toilet.
  8. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Getting rid of an American Standard is a blessing in disguise! Get a Toto.
  9. Justtaint

Justtaint New Member

Currently remodeling the master bathroom, which is forcing us to use the guest bathroom where this AS is installed. I just don't have the money in the budget to replace two toilets.
  10. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

I would just try a different seat.
    Some have more play then others.