American Standard Cadet 3 Three Toilet consumer product review

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by LaNor, Feb 25, 2007.

1. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

I'm sure it has been "mentioned" many times in the 24 pages of this thread, but AS has very poor quality control. Defective toilets are common, perhaps more so with those from Big Box Stores, but elsewhere too. I know folks who read the many raves over Toto think it is just hype, but that isn't the case. True, AS toilets that have no defects work just fine, but there are too many bad ones for most of us.
  2. AlsatianMan

AlsatianMan New Member

It's now almost January 2014. Has the Cadet 3 proven itself over the last several years?
  3. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

There seems to still be individual quality issues. Blems and defects that should never be passed on to consumers. It continues to be popular opinion that most of the blems and defects are pushed on to the discount houses. Those that do not have these issues apparently are decent appliances. There continues to be Toto toilets that do not have these issues at or near the same price.
  4. seattlehiker

seattlehiker New Member

The Cadet is the worst toilet I have ever had, period. I've have 2 in my house since 2006, and I am finally fed up enough to yank them and replace them. How can anyone here say anything good about this toilet. For starters, I has a slow flush and slow fill rate. I fail to see how folks here (some are licensed plumbers I presume) can say anything else. If your turds are larger than Chiwawa's, it will clog. Now, perhaps there is a venting issue in the house that (remodeled in 05-06), I don't know. Maybe we need power-flushers for our power-*****, I don't know. Anyone have any suggestions?
  5. wjcandee

wjcandee Wise One

A great value is the original Toto Drake CST744E (elongated bowl, 1.28 gallons per flush) or CST744S (elongated bowl, 1.6 gallons per flush). Both are very effective, using Toto's GMax flush. The Drake has excellent build quality and fit and finish, and flushes superbly. It is an excellent value at a little more than $200. We have two, and love them. The seat is separate, and you can use your old one, buy a new one you like, or get the Toto SS114, which is a nice heavy-duty slow-close seat. The bolt positions are standard, so most brands will fit, although the Toto seat will contour to the toilet a little better than some others. (We have one Toto toilet with the SS114, which we like, and on our two Drakes we used the nice wood Mayfair slow-close seats with the easy-clean hinges that we had just installed on the toilets we replaced with the Drakes; we like those seats as well.)
  6. Wallijonn

Wallijonn Member

I'd start by looking at the wax seal, to see if hasn't deformed and is obstructing the water & waste flow. If it flows slowly I'd look to see if maybe something isn't stuck in the drain, like a plastic shaver. Yeah, that happened to me...

But the fact that you say that you have two and they both are doing the same thing - maybe it's time to get 1.6g Drakes.

Have you had your sewer pipes inspected? A friend had a tree root growing in his - going right for the toilet.
    Last edited: May 24, 2014