American Standard Cadet 3 Three Toilet consumer product review

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You should be able to feel the wax smush as you set the toilet. Plus, if the toilet rocks at all, the wax isn't a spring, and you'll end up with a gap. If the toilet rocks, you need to use shims.

Saurav

Reaction score
It's not rocking. I had to rotate it a bit to line it up after I set it down, but I don't think I rocked it after I got it down. I ran about a dozen flushes this morning, and there doesn't seem to be any more water coming out, so I'm hoping that was all water that seeped in under the toilet when I got it on the ground.

Plumbripe

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the reply. I took the flush valve off, and found 2 bumps in the porcelain under the flush valve's gasket. One of them landed right on the edge of the gasket, I could see part of it visible outside. So I spent some time with a dremel and various sanding wheels, and ground those down as best as I could. Put it back together again, and so far, no leaks (fingers crossed).

Thanks to Saurav's question and Terry's answer I have solved the exact same problem of water leaking through the tank bolt (or at least it appeared so but I suspect the water made its way from the seal to the bolt perhaps). I too had the same porcelain bumps that while, small, were large enough to depress some of ridges of the seal joining the tank to the bowl. I also noticed a portion of the grey 'gunk' sealer used inside the tank was spilled over into the area the seal occupied and gummed up between the ridges of the seal. I grinded down the bits of porcelain and cleaned the gunk out of the seal and Voila! No leaks - finally after about 10 hours of frustration. Really glad I stumbled on this thread but not so glad about American Standard's qaulity control processes. I'd say this was poor. You'd simply need someone at the end of the line to inspect the tanks when they come off the mold and make what amounts to a 2 min fix. It frustrates me to no end when manufacturers tout the newest glaze, flush, environmental benefit or other feature but don't pay attention to the most basic and simple principle - qaulity. I opted to buy this model which was 2x more than a basic toilet only to wonder if this is indicative of what I can expect in the years ahead. I will be thinking twice about buying a new A/S model again. Let's hope the long-term experience with this toilet will make me keep an open mind.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
You'd simply need someone at the end of the line to inspect the tanks when they come off the mold and make what amounts to a 2 min fix.

The end of the line is the wrong place to be worrying about quality, but seems to be the American way of compensating for skimping on quality when the product is being manufactured.

Reader Review

Comments by readers
Reaction score
Emails and phone calls sent in by readers
Website
www.terrylove.com
have a 2 year old Am.Std. 1.6 lpf model that leaks water around the flapper. Same ol, but the black rubber gasket has several amazing water-filled blisters that prevent a tight seal. I pierced these bubbles with the tip of a sharp sewing needle and pushed the water out…it’s much better for now. Last time I looked, Casa Depo didn’t carry a replacement part for this model! Nor do they provide parts for my $80 kitchen faucet which also leaks. Maybe this stuff is supposed to be disposable. Jim Ashcom

Last edited by a moderator:

Gramps

Reaction score
re: AS Cadet 3 water height in bowl is low

I installed a cadet 3 last week in my house w/4.8L tank. I noticed that the water height in the bowl is low. I wondered if it was possible to make an adjustment so that I can get some extra water in the bowl.

Issue #2
another strange thing that happened right after I installed the toilet, was the fill valve was leaking water at the top (where the cap it), also creating a "hissing" sound. the tank eventually filled pass the overflow line, and after a few minutes the water in the bowl filled to the proper height. I opened the lid today, and noticed that this problem somehow fixed itself. Is there anything to be concerned about? (should I replace any parts now? I don't want this to be a reoccurring issue)

Jadnashua

Reaction score
To test if the bowl water height is proper, take a bucket of water and after first noting the current level in there, slowly pour water in. To work properly, the water height in the bowl should be at the max level. If it gets higher and stays there after pouring water into the bowl (any excess will slowly drain out on its own), then you need to check the tube that going into the overflow pipe. If it isn't clipped on or is misaligned, or pushed down into the tube, it won't work right. If the water level drops to the original height, then that's as high as it gets on that bowl, nothing you can do about it. If it does go higher and stays there, then you need to investigate why it's not filling. If the water height in the tank is proper and the overflow bowl fill tube is oriented properly, then the fill valve is either the wrong one for your toilet, or needs to be replaced.

The hissing you noticed could have been from some debris that got caught in the seal. Subsequent flushes washed it away.

Steve603

Reaction score
Below is part of my post dated 04-12-2008 that refers to the defective Cadet 3 bowls. Today I found a defect in "Bowl #4" that goes beyond cosmetic which I consider serious.

We have been noticing a foul odor like stale urine that seems to be coming from inside the toilet bowl (not on the floor or anywhere else -- both of us have good noses). Until now, I have NEVER had a toilet that smells. This morning, after I noticed that the smell had gotten worse, I took a hand mirror and looked underneath the rim. See attached photos of the separation of the glaze between the rim and the bowl. I believe that this may be where the odor is coming from.

[/I]

Thank You!

That is an amazing photo! The next time I buy a toilet a hand mirror and level will be coming with me! Sure, splatters leave an extremely fertile ground for stench--what a horrendous (and increasing, I fear) example of total lack of QA.

Achutch

Reaction score
Thank You!

That is an amazing photo! The next time I buy a toilet a hand mirror and level will be coming with me! Sure, splatters leave an extremely fertile ground for stench--what a horrendous (and increasing, I fear) example of total lack of QA.

Thank you, Steve603! I hope my experience and photos, plus the experiences of others who wasted time and money on a product that should have never made to the shelves, will help others to not make the same mistake.

As you read, I wasn't even willing to give American Standard a second chance even if I bought a Grade A Cadet 3 as shown at a plumbing supply house. If anyone asks me where and what to buy for a toilet, I will tell them NOT to buy one at a box store, and then I will point them toward Toto and to the plumbing supply house where I bought my two Drakes.

achutch

Gramps

Reaction score
As you read, I wasn't even willing to give American Standard a second chance even if I bought a Grade A Cadet 3 as shown at a plumbing supply house.

How does that work? do they take the rejects with minor or major defects and give them to the big box stores?

Jadnashua

Reaction score
It has been said, but I cannot confirm, that to get the lower price, the big box stores tell the manufacturer to not perform a final inspection (that is done for those that are sold through plumbing supply houses). Thus, it may come off the same production line, could be perfect, but also could be a reject if it were to go through that final inspection. So, you buy it, you are the final inspector. Most people don't know what to look for, and may not realize that it isn't working as it should. Course, it could be fine.

skap

Reaction score
I recently purchased 2 Cadet 3 toilets although they are now called cadet 3 Savers. I had read about the splashing problem and I too see a problem with splashing. After spending days looking over the toilet I think this may be just the design of the low water flow toilet. These toilets have the 3" flush valve(?) and I think that makes them more powerful. Combine that with a very low amount of water and I think this may be the cause of the splash. I have noticed that if you hold down the handle for about a second more then the entire tank will empty and there will be no splash. Overall I am happy with this toilet and we do not mind adjusting to holding the handle down for a second more or so when needed. I have a relative who bought 3 low water flow toilets and saw a significant decrease in his water bill.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Holding the handle down defeats the whole water saving premise...today's low flow toilets use the water height to provide the push and are not designed to use the whole tank like the old ones did. Holding it down can use as much as twice the water, and not save much, depending on the age of the one replaced. Good ones do not splash...

garyw5687

Reaction score
Washlet clarification with American Standard Cadet 3 Please

I bought three Cadet 3 one piece, ADA height, elongated toilets recently. All three of them were perfect - no flaws. They were very easy to install and they sit perfectly flat and level. The flushing performance is phenomenal. They are MAP rated at 1000. The bowl wash is very effective and the water spot is relatively large for a 1.28 gal flush toilet. The everclean glaze that they use seems stays very clean - the water still beads on it after over 2 months. I have not had to use a toilet brush so far.

The flapper is different than the one that is shown in previous posts. Maybe they improved it? I don't know, but I have had no issues so far.

All in all - I am very happy with my purchase. The one thing I don't like is that the Toto S300 Washlet seat I purchased will not mount on the one-piece Cadet 3 toilet. This is because there is a lip that rises up to the tank from the bowl. This is supposed to make the toilet easier to clean, but it also prevents me from installing the washlet.

I found that the washlet will fit on a Champion 4, but this meant I had to swap toilets from the guest bath to the master bath. What a pain! The washlet works perfectly on the Champion 4 and is highly recommended. It was very easy to install - less than 1/2 hour. Now, not only am I using a lot less water, but I am also using a lot less TP. A good combination for a septic system.

I have an American Standard Cadet 3 two piece, ADA height, elongated toilet (model 3016.016.222) and I'm not sure from your above post if a Toto washlet, such as the S300, will or will not work with my toilet. It seems to me from Toto's literature that the Cadet's rim isn't wide enough (dimension D under "Dimensional Requirements"). The literature says the width needs to be at least 18" (9" from center, but I'm simply doubling it). My Cadet is only 14" wide at the widest part of the rim. Am I reading this correctly?

Thanks in advance!

Sincerely,
Gary

Gellfex

Reaction score
Why do people continue to buy not only American Standard and Kohler toilets even though they have problems?

Maybe not everyone has problems. I bought a Cadet 3 for my bath reno after seeing many great reviews and I was happy with the design after a tank upgrade. I figured for 1/3 the cost of a Toto I would take the chance. Its been over 2 years and I have not 1 complaint. It NEVER takes more than 1 flush.

simonC

Reaction score
Cadet 3 Round Front Toilet

I installed two basic Cadet 3 Roundfront Toilets (6 Liters) in our household of 5 adults around September 2009, and both have been working well with no problems for 2 years now. Great flush, fast and not noisy, never need 2 flushes (to my memory), even though I adjusted early the water-level to just under 5 liters ! Its superior performance compared to our previous 13 L toilets, which did not flush sometimes, can be explained as follows :

1) The flush-valve is 3 inches, much larger than the 2" in most toilet tanks, thus giving a stronger water down-flush. Same as the top-rated Toto toilets which are more expensive.

2) The trapsize is 2 1/8", which is said to be about the average today or slightly more. The minimum standard was 1 1/2". Champion has larger trapsizes and Caroma has 3" and 4". It is sufficient anyhow to our experience.

3) The trapway is glazed, allowing a smoother pass ( I have checked it with my hand, though it didn't feel fully glazed inside, or as smooth as the outside).

4) The wide water-surface area (9" x 8") should be a contributing feature also.

Another feature is that it fits into our bathroom floor rough-in which is less than 12" perfectly (measured from the flange-hole center to the back wall), since the Cadet 3 toilet rough-in is measured about 11 1/2" (from the bowl-outlet center to the tank's back). Our former toilet has an exact 12" rough-in, which caused a misalignment with our flange-hole, a ' tilted ' tank, and water leak troubles in our bathroom to downstairs ! However, if your floor rough-in is 12" or more, you could see a small gap between the tank and wall.

Only one complication in our case. I found some waterdrops appearing nonstop at the tank's bottom after installation. Eventually, I bought a set of tank bolts/nuts/washers that has additional washers and nuts sealing the tank bottom's openings where the bolts come out, and there was no more water dripping. I sealed the second toilet similarly without testing first. I further put some Duct tapes on the first tank's bottom and back just in case of condensation.

Also, I used ' nylon ' nuts (white plastic) instead of the common ' brass ' nuts to prevent rusting, which has caused me much trouble in removing the toilet from the floor, and separating the bowl and tank. Moreover, I put washers and nylon nuts onto the floor bolts to ' fix ' them to the flange, so I could ' center ' the toilet bowl-outlet with the flange-hole surely without shifting the bolts' positions, as the bowl touched them during installation. This off-center misalignment has caused water leak problems to our ceiling downstairs before !

I bought each roundfront bowl (3011.016.020) and lined tank (4021.500.020) at a home depot store in Toronto for about $200 Canadian dollars - a great deal considering many more expensive toilets simply do not flush as well ! And many use more water still ! The outer design of Cadet 3 looks very nice either. Can't find a better deal.

Last edited:

moisheh

Reaction score
Our Cadet has ben installed for 16 months. Works perfectly. Never had to flush twice. Mechanism is fine and has never plugged. Works as a toilet should! I would recommend this unit to anyone!

Moisheh

ab8

Reaction score
American Std Cadet 3 Flowise 4.8L with multiple defects

Yes, that's your leak. The large plastic nut may need to be tightened.
If snugging it up doesn't fix it, you can remove the flush valve, inspect the china inside the tank, and sand smooth if needed.
Thank you for above comment! Here's my review of American Std Cadet 3 Flowise 4.8L with multiple defects.

Glad to see some customers are not running into defects. For me, American Standard got it wrong, Home Depot made it right.

By the way, it does flush OK after Home Depot and I fixed the multiple quality problems:
1) Had to hold lever down until water makes loud gurgle in bowl, then release (else no flush); there was a styrofoam float missing from top of flapper.
2) Leak from tank bolt or tank outlet. Found this helpful comment above: "As far as I can tell, it's leaking around the sides of the gasket that goes between the tank and the bowl. If I fill the tank and watch that space, I see water starting to well up there, and then eventually start dripping out through the bolt holes... Yes, that's your leak. The large plastic nut may need to be tightened..." There was a gap between the large plastic nut and the rough porcelain surface.
3) Instructions do NOT correspond to parts, for example, no mention of the extra(?) pair of tight-fitting plastic 'washers' - maybe useful to clip the bowl base bolts into place and stop them wandering while lifting the heavy bowl into place (not mentioned in instructions).
4) It's a tough job to cut bolts after bowl is installed, so that bolt covers fit properly. Instructions should give an alternative of measuring *very carefully*, put on a nut temporarily, cut off amount indicated by measurement, then re-thread with nut. Use hacksaw or Dremel with cutter blade?

Tank went back to Home Depot, they exchanged the tank. (If they had to order replacement, I would suggest they order at least 2, so there is a better chance of one being defect-free). There is now a softer gasket, perhaps a design change to fix leak problems. I'm wary of American Standard, there seem to be quality problems. Would give it 2/5 since it does flush OK once the leaks and defects are fixed; includes a handy long nut driver for tightening nuts on tank bolts. Acts like a dual flush now: poke handle and it flushes using part of tank (about 3 liters), hold handle down and it empties tank (about 5 liters).

gzaryz

Reaction score
Below is part of my post dated 04-12-2008 that refers to the defective Cadet 3 bowls. Today I found a defect in "Bowl #4" that goes beyond cosmetic which I consider serious.

We have been noticing a foul odor like stale urine that seems to be coming from inside the toilet bowl (not on the floor or anywhere else -- both of us have good noses). Until now, I have NEVER had a toilet that smells. This morning, after I noticed that the smell had gotten worse, I took a hand mirror and looked underneath the rim. See attached photos of the separation of the glaze between the rim and the bowl. I believe that this may be where the odor is coming from.

While the toilet performs well (never a clog or a leak), a stench is unacceptable. We're giving it another good scrubbing with bleach, but my guess is that it will be going out the door and replaced with a Toto like the one in the main bathroom.

achutch

The bowls, all made in the US, had quality issues.

The first bowl rocked because of a slight projection on the bottom between the horn and the front part of the base that hadn't been trimmed, UNACCEPTABLE. That one was returned.

The second bowl didn't rock and the projection was trimmed out. However, there was a gross imperfection of a seam inside the bowl at the bottom where the water goes out which had been permanently stained blue (fired in), UNACCEPTABLE. So in late afternoon during rush hour, it got returned. I, now quite cross, informed the person at the return desk that I expected a rep from the plumbing department to meet with me, and together we would inspect every Cadet 3 bowl until I found one that was acceptable.

After looking at another bowl and finding a flaw in the glazing in the same area as bowl #2, the plumbing rep brought down a pallet of Cadet 3 bowls. Luckily, the first box he opened contained an acceptable bowl, though not flawless. Bowl #4 was brought home, is now up and running, and to its credit, it works well.

Had to create and account to reply to this thread, since I've been lurking here for months and decided to go to the 'Depot to pick up a couple Cadets to replace the builder grade Mansfields in my house. Wow, the quality control issues were not exaggerated. Both bowls with cock-eyed just like the pictures, but worse was under the rim. Both were flawed, much like this picture, but way worse.

One had this defect around at least 70% of the rim. Disgusting. The other had it in about 3 spots that were about 3 inches long. Both went back and the mansfield's back on a new wax ring until the Drakes I ordered online arrive. I'm kicking myself for not taking pictures. Maybe a Cadet from a *real* plumbing supply house won't have these defects, but i will NEVER buy another American Standard from Home Depot again. That's for sure, and both companies are getting a short nastygram from me because of this experience. Begin the "I told you so's"!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks