Aligning Copper Pipe (Visual Included)

Users who are viewing this thread

BriPod

Reaction score
Hey all,

First time poster, long time lurker.

I recently took on the renovation of our guest bath.
Long story short, the entire bathroom is ripped down to the studs, so while I'm at it, I decided to replace the old rough-in with a new, reliable Delta.

The new positioning for the rough-in is roughly 1.5" forward of the old positioning.
When sweating the fittings together, instead of unsoldering the old pipe, realigning, and then soldering, I decided to flex the old pipe forward roughly 1.5" (see below visual).

The pipe itself flexed relatively easily. I did not have to force it. At the time, I thought nothing of it, but now I'm having second thoughts.

Copper is 1/2" type L.
Is copper plumbing able to handle a slight amount of flexing/tension without long term problems?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Rigid copper L is not meant to be bent, it causes unnecessary pressure/stress that might lead to a future leak.

The proper way to do this is by using new fittings, couplings and elbows, to get the pipe where you want it.

BriPod

Reaction score
Rigid copper L is not meant to be bent, it causes unnecessary pressure/stress that might lead to a future leak.

The proper way to do this is by using new fittings, couplings and elbows, to get the pipe where you want it.

I had a feeling you would say that...
Is there such thing as using too many fittings aside from additional points of failure? Could I do something like this and be totally fine:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
There is no problem with using more fittings on that. The water is under pressure, unlike the lines that drain with the worry about being snaked in the future.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
From a practical viewpoint...you'll never notice any difference in performance. If you were in a laboratory, you could measure a slight drop in working pressure verses it being straight, but it wouldn't be much at all. Pressure can change with flow because of friction...a fitting creates friction, it's just that it isn't much...don't worry about it!

Reach4

Reaction score
Suppose he could remove the water. Could he just re-heat the two elbows he shows on his drawing, particularly the bottom elbow, to relieve the stress?

BriPod

Reaction score
I ended up slicing the inlet to relieve tension and coupled it with a straight sleeve.

I was apprehensive to solder the inlet - mostly worried about water contaiminating my joint.

I preheated the pipe a bit to cook off the water. I was using MAPP instead of Propane, so the water vaporized pretty quickly. I moved pretty fast after to ensure water didn't seep back. Next time I'll give the bread trick a try.

She's not pretty but holds water like champ!
I'm keeping the wall off until the weekend just to ensure my joints are holding.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That should work. :)
Make sure you support the tub spout for later.

Is that centered on the tub? If not you can always add more studs.

BriPod

Reaction score
That should work. :)
Make sure you support the tub spout for later.

Is that centered on the tub? If not you can always add more studs.

Believe it or not, it's perfectly centered. I will admit it was the most inconveniently placed stud... Had to cut a notch out to fit the rough-in.

I still have yet to support the tub or shower spout. That's this weekend. Good looking out though!

I appreciate the help. Seems like a solid community! Hope I can start contributing once I learn more.

Cheers!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks