Advice on half bath plan for basement with wall mount toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

PlumbingIsHard

Reaction score
I am looking to add a 1/2 bath to my basement and would appreciate feedback on my plan before I start to buy/build. Attached is a picture of the existing 4" cast stack. We plan to replace all the existing drain except the 45 buried in the concrete. the 2x4s laying on the floor are there to represent the approximate location of where the walls of the new bathroom will stand.

Here is the parts list I am planning to purchase. Each number here corresponds to the numbers in my attached drawings

1) 2" 90 Elbow (for vent)
2) 2" x 2" x 1-1/2" Wye & 1/8 bend (sink)
3) 2" x 2" x 1-1/2" Wye & 1/8 bend (sink)
4) 4" x 4" x 2" Sanitary Street Tee
5) 4" x 4" x 3" Sanitary Street Tee
6) 3" x 3" x 1-1/2" Wye & 1/8 bend (stand pipe)
7) 3" Long Sweep 1/4 Bend
8) 3" HDPE Straight Connector (Part:366.887.16.1)
9) Concealed Toilet Carrier & Tank (Part:111.335.00.5)

I'm fairly certain that I've used the right fittings in the right places (Wyes vs Sanitary tees) but I would appreciate any corrections.

I drew a vent pipe on the sink side of the stack because I think it's required. Does that seem correct?

Do I also need to put a vent on the toilet side of the stack as well or is it not needed because of how close it is to the stack?

I have tried to do my research before making this post but I am not a professional. Any/all feedback will be appreciated. Thank you.

BasementPic.jpg
Design-TopView.png
Design-SideView.png

Stuff

Reaction score
The horizontal venting on the left is also not allowed. Both at the tees and the pipe above.

PlumbingIsHard

Reaction score
@hj - I didn't know there were different kinds of traps until you pointed it out. I did some more searching and I think I've fixed it in the picture below. I've replaced the "s trap" with a "p trap" and connected it to the vent pipe. Will that new vent above the "p trap" be enough to vent the toilet or do I need to add another vent somewhere else?

@Stuff - I've read that I have to maintain 1/4" rise over every foot of horizontal pipe. I failed to show that on my first drawings. In the drawing below I've added the slopes so that all the horizontal runs have the required pitch. Does adding that slope take care of the horizontal venting issue you mentioned or were you referring to something else?

Thanks for the help!

Design-SideView2.png

PlumbingIsHard

Reaction score
Dang. I guess I also didn't realize that a vent pipe cant be horizontal unless its higher than the flood line of the sink & stand pipe.
Thanks for the link, I read through it a couple times and tried to incorporate that into my understanding of how things should be done.

Below are new drawings where I've replaced the upper horizontal vents with diagonal vents at 45 degree angles as it seems like there are a lot of restrictions on horizontal venting but not so many with diagonal. I also moved them all the way to the ceiling for good measure.

Also, in this drawing I've done away with the Wyes laying on their sides as I think you're saying those are not allowed because they're venting horizontally instead of coming straight off the top. I've replaced them with a 2" x 2" x 2" x 2" "Double Fixture Fitting" in a vertical orientation.

My only reservation with this design is that the trap for the sinks will now be about 6" higher than my earlier plan which might force me to mount the skins higher than I had anticipated. But if this is what I have to do for it to be done correctly then so be it.

Does it look like I've finally stopped breaking all the rules? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Design-SideView3.png
Design-TopView3.png

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Wet venting is for bathroom fixtures only. A washer can't wet vent a toilet. The water is pumped out in much too much force for it to double as a vent. You're getting closer.

PlumbingIsHard

Reaction score
@Terry, Thanks for the information about wet venting, I definitely wouldn't have caught that error by myself.

I couldn't really figure out a way to add an additional dedicated vent to the toilet run to because it's so short, so instead I attached the stand pipe directly to the stack.

How do the below plans look? I'm hoping that I didn't create any new problems by putting the stand pipe on it's own run.

Thanks!

Design-SideView4.png
Design-TopView4.png

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks