Adding a standpipe to a utility closet

Users who are viewing this thread

brianj

Reaction score
I have a multi, split-level home. There is a utility closet w/o a floor drain on the basement level which is adjacent to the crawlspace. The utility closet has a GE Geospring water heater, but I want to add a softener. The furnace currently has a condensate pump (pumping outside) for the AC Coil and WH, but I would like to add a humidifier. Plus the condensate line freezes in the winter.

My idea would be to add a standpipe to the utility closet, but this puts my 3" vent stack about 12' away. This is the closest part of the DWV system, everything else is on the other side of the house. Would I be able to do this and use an AAV, or is this a bad idea? This would let me run the WH, humidifier and softener directly into the trap, and the AC into the condensate pump, which I'd also add to the trap.

My other idea would be to run the softener discharge up to the washing machine (located on the floor above the closet) but it is probably 20' away and I would have to run the tubing through the floor, behind the washer and along the finished wall. Then I could keep the humidifier, A/C condensate & WH condensate into the condensate pump and put a T into one of drain fixtures before the trap, or run it into the washer drain as well.

Do you guys suggest anything else? Wish I had a floor drain in there, but the current plumbing is about a foot higher than the floor level.

IMG_20140104_221026982.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
My idea would be to add a standpipe to the utility closet, but this puts my 3" vent stack about 12' away. This is the closest part of the DWV system, everything else is on the other side of the house. Would I be able to do this and use an AAV, or is this a bad idea? This would let me run the WH, humidifier and softener directly into the trap, and the AC into the condensate pump, which I'd also add to the trap.

That sounds like a good idea. The AAV should be fine for that trap.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks