Adding a Laundry Sink to Existing Washer Drain

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by bradleonard, Nov 9, 2010.

1. bradleonard

bradleonard New Member

I posted this question at the end of a very old thread (http://www.terrylove.com/forums/sho...ity-sink-drain&p=277172&highlight=#post277172) and didn't receive a response, I have an existing standpipe for my washing machine going into a 2" drain vented above with 2". The washing machine drain comes from the left in my picture.

washer drain.jpg Wash drain 2.jpg

I would like to add a laundry sink to this drain. My question is Washington Code specific as I live in Washington. Can I simply add a cross T where the washing machine enters this stack and drain both the sink and washer at the same height, or do I need to do a vent in the horizontal line come from the sink trap just as you have shown in the picture at the beginning of this thread?
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

You can use a fixture cross at the same height and use the one vent.

Not a san cross. What you have now is a SanTee.
    A double santee wouldn't work. I would need a double fixture fitting.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Offhand, from the pictures, I would suspect that a fixture fitting would make the drain go in the wrong direction and create a convoluted drain if the sink is going along the back, concrete, wall.
  4. bradleonard

bradleonard New Member

Nov_15_2010_5741.jpg

So I went to Home Depot and found these two fittings. It appears to me that I need a double fixture fitting, shown on the left. Is this correct? if I replace the T that I have right now with a double fixture fitting I won't need to change the vent at all?
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Yes, the box on the left. If you need to get closer to the wall, you can offset below the fixture tee.
  6. shacko

shacko Master Plumber-Gas Fitter

Hey Terry, that looks like a double combine, not a double fixture fitting?