ABS joint turned from yellow to white

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Kiton, May 21, 2014.

1. Kiton

Kiton Member

I had a kitchen counter installer in about a year ago to install new kitchen cupboards. They sent a "plumber" to do the sink install, he used ABS over PVC.

One of the joints has turned from yellow to white.

I assume this will need to be cut out and replaced?
    What causes the ABS cement to turn from yellow to white?

Thanks,
  2. dj2

dj2 Member

Around here, ABS is black.
  3. Kiton

Kiton Member

It is just the joint I am referring to.
    The thin yellow line of the glue or cement that can be seen around the joint under the sink has turned from yellow to white.
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

In Canada, they use a yellow glue for ABS.
    I would guess that you're fine. Every TV show I've seen from Canada uses that glue.
  5. johnjh2o1

johnjh2o1 Plumbing Contractor for 49 years

6. Kiton

Kiton Member

The jointed started out yellow, over time it has turned white, but only those 2 joints, all the rest of the pipe work is still has bright yellow lines where the cement sealed the joints.

I cut out the 45 and replaced it tonight.

But I am curious why it would change color like that, it was not exposed to sunlight or high heat etc.
  7. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

And if you joint changes color are you going to redo it again. There was probably NOTHING wrong with the joint regardless of its color.
  8. Kiton

Kiton Member

I have never seen one change color, I have asked around and no one else has seen one go white either.
    I tried to take a cell phone pix of the joint, but it is really crap with a close up detail picture. There looks to be a bunch of small cracks in those joints that can not be seen in any other joints. That was the motivation to cut it out.

I have attached a picture of a good joint. They are a nice bright yellow. I did not realize the fusing cement was a different color in the USA.

My neighbor is a master plumber, with the big trade union here. He does new installs only on high rises and large condo projects. I hate asking advice because every time the poor guy goes outside to cut the grass or shovel snow, someone is asking him for advice. I sucked it up and asked him about it, he had 2 things to say:

1) Don't use ABS anymore, use PVC

2) More than likely the joint was moved or manipulated before the cure process was finished.

Tonight I glued a scrap joint together, just to see.
    I tried to pull it 2/3 apart and then re position it, after it was in place for only a little bit. Sure enough, the soup of the pipe fusing together was white. I will assume my neighbor is right and the pipe was twisted during the curing process.

Attached Files: