abs cure time

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Rocknroj, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Rocknroj

Rocknroj New Member

I am currently waiting 15-20 minutes between gluing and applying the pressure necessary to make the next glue.. When I tried to glue 2 joints quickly, I was surprised to see the first joint twist when I tried to twist in the second joint.. This was back to back gluing as fast as I could..

So I am tossing that joint and going back to the old method.. and waiting between successive joints.

I also knocked a glued section hard against a joist.. It had set for 20 minutes or so but appeared to show separation between the glue and the pipe where the glue pushes out of the socket.. I will probably redo this one as well..

I need to pass a leak test so am not sure about the cure time and how sturdy those joints are.. The can says 15 minutes before handling.. Temperature is about 40-50 degrees in work area.

Thanks in advance for your timely wisdom..
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

You are right at the lower limit of permissible glue temp, probably. Check the can, and call the manufacturer. You will need longer set up time at low temp.
  3. kingsotall

kingsotall Plunger/TurdPuncher

Give it an hour.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

joint

If I had to wait 20 minutes between joints the job would never get done. I glue and assemble as fast as I can measure and cut the pipe.
  5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

One afternoon I plumbed seven of these walls in ABS in 105 minutes, thats 15 minutes per bathroom and 13 fitting per wall.
    91 fittings in all.
    That's 69 seconds per fitting.

All of the holes had been predrilled, but that's how fast you can measure, cut and glue pipe.

Attached Files:

6. Phil Clemence

Phil Clemence New Member

You are using primer? I can knock a fitting off if i act quickly but most often i find that if i have twisted a connection and in 15 seconds i realize the angle was off a bit, it is too late! i have to start cutting a new one. Isn't that typical?
    PVC is tinker-toys for adults :D
  7. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

We're talking ABS right? The black stuff? Cure time is seconds at best for ABS. PVC a bit slower but not much. No more than 20 seconds max unless it's damn cold.
    Sure you are using the right glue? No primer for ABS either.
  8. useing the wrong glue....

I agree, you have got some bad glue or probably the wrong kind, it should only take a few seconds , not 5 minutes...

something is wrong....
  9. kingsotall

kingsotall Plunger/TurdPuncher

40 degrees just seems like it would need more time.
  10. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

abs

WIth ABS, you want to get the joint right or act quickly if you change your mind. Up until about 2 minutes you can take the joint apart if you put a hammer handle or something into the fitting so you can bend it apart. After that, forget it. It is where you put it forever.