A Leak That Moves from Faucet to Faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

tomatolater

Reaction score
I've spent hours pouring over this website and it is wonderful, but I could not find a solution to my problem. I bought a home built in 1968 (with all copper piping) a couple months ago.

The Short Version:
-Valve shortly before Hot Water Tank drips
-Fixing Drip Causes shower to drip COLD water
-Fixing Shower Causes Sink to drip HOT water
-Fixing Sink Causes Shower to drip HOT water
-I go crazy.

Long Detailed Version:
After moving in we noticed a very very slow drip at the shut off valve right before the water heater. I turned the knob a little and it stopped dripping and dried up within a couple of hours.

Soon thereafter the shower started slowly dripping COLD water. I removed the handle and cleaned the handles and nipple. The drip stopped, but I noticed something else....The faucet in the same bathroom was slowly dripping HOT water!!!!!

I am a pretty bid diyer so I turned off the water valves under the sink and opened up the hot water handle. To my surprise the hot water shut off valve didn't work and water spewed everywhere (but that is another story). I turned off the water input to the hot water tank (you know the one that originally leaked.) I reseated all of the hot water hardware and put everything back. I turned the hot water back on and my bathroom faucet stopped dripping. I turn around and the shower is slowly dripping HOT water!

Any ideas what could cause a leak to jump from faucet to faucet? We don't have super water pressure or anything like that. Any input would be very helpful. Thanks

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
First thing I would check is the water pressure -

You say you don't have 'super pressure' but have you checked?

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
I think you might need an expansion tank on the cold side of your water heater.

Do you have a pressure reducing valve on your water main? It would be around the area were your water comes into your house.

The norm for an expansion problem would be the T&P at the water heater leaking, but if your fixtures and valves are really old it might do what your house is doing.

tomatolater

Reaction score
The inspector checked our pressure and said it was completely normal. If the shower or washing machine is running we only get a sizable trickle from sink faucets. When I said we don't have 'super pressure' I should have said we have some low pressure issues. We are on city water and most of our neighbors also have low pressure issues.

If I turn on other faucets in the house (both cold and hot) it does not seem to affect the drip in the shower.

We don't have a PRV on the waterline to the best of my knowledge. I have been under our house to and out to our meter and I haven't seen one in either place.

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
What is normal?? I don't know any inspectors that check water pressure...what kind of inspector was it?

If indeed you have low water pressure then you may just have a bunch of worn out valves.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
leaks

Operating the valve at the water heater would do absolutely nothing to cause a leak at the shower. And working on the handles would do nothing to stop any leak. Your causes are not creating the problems you describe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks