90 degree water heater supply line

Users who are viewing this thread

Ethan Brush

Reaction score
What is the best way to make a 90 just above the water tank? I don't have much space and a traditional supply line won't quite bend enough. No one seems to make a supply hose with a 90-degree connector on one end. They do for washing machines but those are fht/mht. Of course I could put a street 90 right on the water heater connectors, but that just seems hokie plus it's hard to get them to point in the direction you want. I could add a union and then a 90, but again that's a seems like a cob job of fittings, what is the cleanest way to do this?

Reach4

Reaction score
You can control how much engagement a thread has by using more or less tape, and more or less torque.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
You can control how much engagement a thread has by using more or less tape, and more or less torque.[/QUOTE

This is one of the popular questions on plumbing exams ..

Normally a threaded fitting is installed 3-5 turns by hand and 2 turns by wrench .

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hard pipe in copper if you don't like the look. but a 90 or 45 should be able to install cleanly. Personally I prefer the corrugated metal supple over the rubber hoses w stainless braid, corrugated bend better .

Ethan Brush

Reaction score
Hard pipe in copper if you don't like the look. but a 90 or 45 should be able to install cleanly. Personally I prefer the corrugated metal supple over the rubber hoses w stainless braid, corrugated bend better .
I thought about the corrugated copper lines, that they might bend more. I was trying it with the braided. Maybe I'll give that a shot.

If I use a street 90 would I want to go galvanized to match the material of the water heater inlet?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Don't use a galvanized 90 there. You can, but it's going to be rusting up pretty badly.
What length of supply lines are you working with. I typically use a 24" corrugated, either stainless or copper. The longer lines allow for a better sweeping bend.

I don't use braided lines for water heaters unless there is no other choice.

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I could add a union and then a 90, but again that's a seems like a cob job of fittings, what is the cleanest way to do this?
Assuming the piping is rigid copper, a dielectric union (FPT-to-copper sweat) would be a clean looking install. When I installed my first water heater I did not use flex but the plumber that replaced it with a rental used flex on one side and rigid copper on the other side.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
In NYC we never use corrugated stainless or copper .

We use either Red Brass or Type L copper

Some places do allow corrugated, either stainless or copper flaired as long as there is no plastic or rubber in contact with the potable water supply

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I guess if OP already has the flex and doesn't want to buy another set (cheap me might not ) put that street 90 on brass. But the braided lines don't bend as good as corrugated and as Terry mentioned sometimes longer length is needed to give longer sweeping bends.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
Not all braided disintegrate rubbery materials into the water over time. AFAIK, no corrugated lines disintegrate materials into the water over time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks