7" Rough-in, or move flange?

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by Oxjockey, May 23, 2005.

1. Oxjockey

Oxjockey New Member

Hi all,
    I'm in the middle of a dilemma. I have a bathroom in the basement with a toilet that's about 11.5" from the foundation, but the previous owners have sheetrocked the bathroom. (around the toilet)

I'm having work done in the floor, and I'm wondering if I can find a 7" or less rough-in toilet or if now is the time I get a plumber out to move the plug. The sewer pipe heads straight right from the flange.

How much would it cost for a plumber, if I did all the concrete work?

TIA,
    Bryan
  2. RioHyde

RioHyde Plumber

I'm a bit confused. If the toilet flange is 11.5" from the wall then you should be able to fit most standard 12" rough toilets in that space (or a 10" if need be). If the toilet flange is a mere 7" from the finished wall then you'll need to have the flange moved as there isnt a 7" rough toilet. Pricing will vary based on going rates in your location, type of piping, how the original plumbing was piped, how far to move the flange, etc. Get a few estimates and go with whom you feel will give you the most bang for your buck.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

toilet

I worked on a Toto recently that had the bolts at 7" from the wall. If that is the outlet point, which it appeared to be, then it would fit.
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]
    If it was like the toilet above, the back bolts merely hold the toilet down, the flange stays in the normal location. This uses the Toto Unifit adapter, factory set for a 12" rough, but can be bought with 10" or 14" in mind. ​

I don't know of anything less than 10" (9.5") that is sold in the US. ​
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

toto

I wasn't sure if that was how it was installed or not.