30s Vintage Shower Head Problem

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by epicism, Jun 22, 2009.

1. epicism

epicism New Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Good Afternoon,

I recently rented a home built in the 1930's, which inexplicably contains the original shower head. I believe this head is missing some parts, because taking showers in there is akin to standing in front of a fire-hose. :)

I'll try to describe what I've got - I've also drawn a rudimentary diagram and attached it. The pipe coming out of the wall has a ball formed into the end. There's also a threaded compression sleeve that goes over the ball, and screws onto the current shower head.

The home is plaster & lat, so I'm fairly certain that I don't want to mess with the stem coming out of the wall. It might unscrew, but the pipes are quite old, and replacing it would likely create a HUGE problem. I'd rather have some kind of adapter for the threaded compression sleeve that converts it down to a regular sized shower head. Does anything like this exist? If so, where might I obtain one?

Any guidance you guys can provide would be tremendously appreciated. :)

Attached Files:

2. epicism

epicism New Member

Jun 22, 2009
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Aug 17, 2004
    Bothell, Washington
    You are better off replacing the shower arm with the standard 1/2" threaded on both sides style.