3/4" or 1/2" to shower valve vacinity

Users who are viewing this thread

Cruiser

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm in the planning stages for a new double shower and am currently thinking water supply. It's a ranch style with concrete slab. The nearest current stub outs are 16 feet away (8' across the loft and 8' down the wall). There are 3/4" stubs and 1/2" stubs available to me at pretty much the same location
Should I pull 3/4" as near to the control valve as possible and then reduce to 1/2" or just take the 1/2" from the stub and run it all the way?

Thanks for your time

Earl

Reaction score
When I did my kids bathroom bath/shower I used 1/2" copper for an approximate 8' length. Although the flow is fine, I did end up with a high pitched whine when in use. I read somewhere and believe this might be due to a combination of the smaller 1/2" pipe and a small protrusion of solder forming on the inside of the pipe as it turns 90 deg into the valve (not sure whether it is the cold or hot side). Only a theory since I really can't explain the phenomena. It's been there for many years so it can't be residual air in the pipe.

When I did my master bathroom I ran 3/4" all the way up to the shower valve with no similar problem. The master bath also has two other valves for an overhead shower and a rear mounted shower. One side benefit is that there is less pressure drop in 3/4" pipe vs 1/2". However for 8' that difference is very small.

In any case, I may be wrong to blame the pipe size but if I had to do it over again I’d run ¾” in the kids bath/shower.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks