2 way shower diverter MAJOR PROBLEM

Users who are viewing this thread

priceman

Reaction score
Thanks ahead for the help.

Here is the situation. Complete shower redo. I installed standard shower faucet on front wall and a handheld shower with drop el on side wall next to bench. Plumbed each separate and bought a 2 way diverter. The plan was to be able to stop flow from standard shower on front wall and divert it to the handheld shower on side wall for wife and kids.

I thought I tested the diverter prior to tiling but now I don't know if I did.

The problem: When I turn the shower water on, water flows to both the front wall and side wall shower heads. When I turn the diverter, water is diverted to the side wall handheld like planed. However, there is no way to isolate front from side. If I only want the front shower head on, I can't. Both stay on. I can only use the side by itself.

I guess I screwed up the plumbing lines or bought the wrong diverter.

Possible Fixes?

Can I buy a shower stop valve and install on the drop el. This way if I only want to use the front shower head I turn the stop valve off to the handheld. From what I've read, these valves are not 100% stop. So water will leak from side shower head.

or

Do I remove 2-3 tiles on front wall and replumb? or cut an access panel to wall behind plumbing?

Thanks for your help. At this point, I completely exhausted from this 6 month project. Trying to get this bathroom project done with a full time job and 3 kids is nearly impossible. I appreciate any comments.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I am thinking that the diverter had 4 ports and you connected the wall shower to the "pass through" port. Otherwise we would have to know the make and model of the diverter to see if it was the wrong one, of it is was piped incorrectly.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Do I remove 2-3 tiles on front wall and replumb? or cut an access panel to wall behind plumbing?

If you can access from behind and panel it, that would be my first choice.
What brand and model of diverter do you have?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks