2" shower p-trap with our without union?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Curtis Myers, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Curtis Myers

Curtis Myers New Member

I'm installing a shower on my main floor and am wondering if I should use a p-trap with our without a union. The trap is accessible from below from the basement. From what I've read, it's not recommended to use the one with union. Thanks for your help.
  2. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

A 2" trap is easy to snake through, so I can't think of many reasons I would ever want to take it apart and put it back together. It would be another place to leak though.

If it is a long run across the basement, you might consider adding a wye in the line for a cleanout.
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  3. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

If you are looking for one more problem, then go for the union.
    Most codes want solvent fittings that are hidden because unions are always a problem later on.