2 piece toilet recommendation

Users who are viewing this thread

JuanC

Reaction score
New home owner and would like to replace a couple of toilets. Wanting 2 piece toilets to make it easier on my back. Have been looking into the Toto brand and have been following this forum for some time. What would you guys recommend for me. Wanting something with great flushing power. Thanks in advance.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Any of the TOTO with the 3" flush valve and 2-1/8" trapway work great.
The base models are the Drake and the Entrada.
The II series add CEFIONTECT and Tornado flushing. In two piece that would be the Drake II and Vespin II.
A push and release either drops 1.28 or 1.60 gallons. A push and hold down drops about 2.5 gallons.

Other toilets that work well are the American Standard Cadet and the Kohler products with Aqua Piston.
I'm a firm believer in buying your toilets locally to prevent the breakage that can easily occur when the 125 pound UPS driver tries to get that huge box up to your doorstep.

Killer95Stang

Reaction score
20161002_110617_001[1].jpg

Just installed a Drake II round bowl model in cotton white with a Toto S300E washlet seat as part of a small hall bath remodel. I already own a Toto Neorest 550 toilet for our master bath, so I already liked the Toto brand of toilets. I can attest that Terry recommends the best toilet around and would not hesitate installing one of these Drakes for any future toilet replacements.

Thanks again Terry for the recommendations..

JuanC

Reaction score
I'm looking for something I can purchase at my nearest Lowes or Home Depot. I can order the Toto brand from there but it's an online only thing and I don't get the hands on I would like before I make my purchase. I still will order online if need be. Which model in different brands would you recommend. They sell the American Standard and Kohlers in store for sure. Thanks for the quick replies.

Last edited:

JuanC

Reaction score
Any of the TOTO with the 3" flush valve and 2-1/8" trapway work great.
The base models are the Drake and the Entrada.
The II series add CEFIONTECT and Tornado flushing. In two piece that would be the Drake II and Vespin II.
A push and release either drops 1.28 or 1.60 gallons. A push and hold down drops about 2.5 gallons.

Other toilets that work well are the American Standard Cadet and the Kohler products with Aqua Piston.
I'm a firm believer in buying your toilets locally to prevent the breakage that can easily occur when the 125 pound UPS driver tries to get that huge box up to your doorstep.

Which toilet would you recommend? Wanting something with a good flush that cleans the bowl and not too worried on how much water it uses. If it needs to use more for a better flush then so be it. Also a 2 piece for easy of moving around. Could also recommend a one piece in case I just pay my local plumber to install for me. Thanks again

Larry S

Occasional DIY'er
Reaction score
I'm looking for something I can purchase at my nearest Lowes or Home Depot. I can order the Toto brand from there but it's an online only thing and I don't get the hands on I would like before I make my purchase. I still will order online if need be. Which model in different brands would you recommend. They sell the American Standard and Kohlers in store for sure. Thanks for the quick replies.
I bought a Toto Entrada from Home Depot. Had to order it (did so online) and it was shipped free to store. You can look at Toto's website, and various other online sites, to see what it looks like. I'm very happy with it. There were a few plumbing supply stores in town which carried them but prices were considerably higher than Home Depot. Never asked if they had any on display or not. Look up local plumbing supply stores in the phone book or online and see if they have them on display.

I previously had a Toto Ultramax (a one piece that costs a lot more) bought years ago and got sold on Toto from that.

JuanC

Reaction score
Ok, just ran into a problem. I just measured and I have a 14" rough in. I measured from the wall to the bolts of the toilet. Are there any recommendations on which 14" rough in toilet to purchase. It seems the TOTO toilets I originally planned on purchasing are a no go.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, any 12" toilet will fit on a 14" RI, but, you'll have an extra 2" behind the toilet than originally designed...functionally, it will work just fine, though.

As said, the Vespin (and any of the Toto toilets that use the Unifit adapter) will work, and will fit better if you replace the 12" Unifit adapter that comes with it for the optional 14" one.

Most 14" toilets just use a deeper tank and are not purpose built for a 14" RI, so they stick into the room that extra 2"...the Totos that use the Unifit will sit the same distance from the wall and are actually exactly the same toilet for the 10, 12 or 14" RI...just the UniFit adapter changes.

JuanC

Reaction score
There is a 2-3/4" gap from the toilet tank and wall, so im guessing there is a 12" rough in toilet there already. Im measuring from the wall to the bolt holding the toilet down and am getting 14". The toilet in place has a round bowl and definitely needs replacing. I don't have much money so im going to purchase the 12" rough in toto toilet. Im thinking the Drake 1.6 with CEFIONTECT. Unless the Drake 2 is a better toilet. Also, any idea how far the toto drake toilet with elongated bowl will stick out from the wall? Sorry for all the questions, I really do appreciate all the responses.

Reach4

Reaction score
Also, any idea how far the toto drake toilet with elongated bowl will stick out from the wall? Sorry for all the questions, I really do appreciate all the responses.
See the drawing at the bottom of https://terrylove.com/pdf/cst744sg-specs.pdf
There is a similar spec sheet available for each of the toilets you could find via that link I posted above.

A Drake (which does not offer a 14 inch rough in) will look less than optimum in your application. It will do its job however. The Toto Entrada would look and work similarly, and would be cheaper still.

Note that "close coupled" is another term for a two-piece toilet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks