2 Drains vs 1 drain for 2-sink bowl

Users who are viewing this thread

stanlx

Reaction score
Hello, I just found this forum now.

I am in an apartment building and bought a 2-sink bowl (ikea double sink DOMJSO). Initially I thought I would just have some kind of splitter into the single drain. The plumber said that those types of splitters are much more likely to leak and it's better to have 2 separate drains. Am I just getting upsold?

Also the estimate he gave for 1 - installing a faucet + hooking up the 2 sinks to the drain "$400-500" (so expecting $500. To add a 2nd drain would be addition $100.

I wouldn't be against trying to do it myself, but I am cautious anything to do with water since if it messes up there's not much I can do in an apartment (main shut off valve is not under my control). I haven't done anything with plumbing before.

Edit: Also another reason the guy said for 2 drains is to prevent water from coming up in the other sink while draining the first (I'm reading something about baffle tee that could be used to prevent that too?). Apologies for the many questions. Ideally I would just do everything myself, or at least majority of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
bought a 2-sink bowl (ikea double sink DOMJSO). Initially I thought I would just have some kind of splitter into the single drain.
Use the tailpiece and trap that was supplied by Ikea. They supply everything you need to the slip-joint in the wall.

The plumber said that those types of splitters are much more likely to leak and it's better to have 2 separate drains. Am I just getting upsold?
Yes you are.

Also another reason the guy said for 2 drains is to prevent water from coming up in the other sink while draining the first
Never going to happen.

I'm reading something about baffle tee that could be used to prevent that too?
Don't need it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If you have a disposer, you need the baffle tee, but it is always a good idea anyway. He is looking out for himself and wants a bigger paycheck. Maybe you need a more scrupulous plumber.

stanlx

Reaction score
I had a feeling I was getting upsold.

Also I am planning to go back to Ikea because I did not get the braces that were supposed to come with the sink. I definitely did not get the tailpiece or the trap either, I will have to take a look around what plumbing materials they have.

How do I go about looking for a good plumber? I live in NYC, which expectedly everything is more expensive. Is there some type of a job I can ask for that can provide me a good baseline?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
sink_dw_hot.jpg

Most of the time we're installing with a baffle tee and a single trap.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks