2" copper dwv in kitchen

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Andrew21, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Andrew21

Andrew21 Member

Hey all,
    I have a 2" dwv in my kitchen and wanted to get this setup for my new sink, and cabinets that are coming in.

I know the usualy fittings for a kitchen sink drain is 1-1/2". So to get this to connect to the 2" copper dwv, do I:

1. Get a 2 in. x 1-1/2 in. Copper DWV CxX coupling and put on a trap adapter?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Mueller-...n-Copper-DWV-C-x-C-Coupling-W-67073/100132768

or

2. get a 2" reducer to 1-1/2" and put a trap adapter at the end of this?

THank you!
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Normally a kitchen trap arm is 1.5"
    If you have a 2.0" trap arm, it will need to be reduced to 1.5" and a trap adapter.

[​IMG]

This is 1.5" copper DWV, from and old 60's home. They also make couplings that transition between copper and plastic.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

If I read your question correctly, both of those fittings are the same, but you can do it almost anyway you want to as long as you wind up with a 1 1/2" connection to the sink.
  4. Andrew21

Andrew21 Member

Thank you Terry and HJ! I'll post pics when I can.
  5. Andrew21

Andrew21 Member

Hey guys,
    Ok, so I was successful in getting a copper 2"x1-1/2 reducer. Now when I put the 1-1/2 trap adapter to the reducer size, its the same size and it won't fit. Did I buy the wrong piece?
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

No, you need a short length of 1 1/2" copper to go between the two pieces.
  7. Andrew21

Andrew21 Member

Thank you HJ.