115 or 230?

Users who are viewing this thread

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I need to vent.....

It really ticks me off when people in the trades give up their time and expertise to try and help those who dismiss what we have to offer.

Just yesterday I got a no water call from a guy whose house I was at last year. He had a shitty hardware store tank that went bad and cycled the pump to the point that the pressure switch failed. We replaced the switch, pumped some air into the tank and quoted a new wx203. Yesterday he calls, no water. I get there and he did replace the tank, but with another shitty hardware store tank that has failed and now his pump is fried.....plus he needs another new tank.

Sure it's money in the account. But it's also a slap in the face.

Reaction score
I need to vent.....

It really ticks me off when people in the trades give up their time and expertise to try and help those who dismiss what we have to offer. . . .

Yea, I agree. There is a lot of hostility here. Too much, if you ask me.

And you're not helping with that problem.

Now, tell me again; how much was I paying you for your valuable advice?

DonL has finally made a contribution. I agree that a pressure tank likely acts as a buffer, and that because I'm not using one I'm probably causing more movement in the jet body when I start pumping than would occur if I had a pressure tank and the system was therefore under pressure when the pump started.

Which is why I felt that putting a ball valve in the drive line would be the better approach (than putting it somewhere else, if there is somewhere else) since that would restrict the flow to the foot valve and more closely simulate the situation created when running the pump slower.

But then, I have no real expertise since I'm not in the trade.

Q: If I didn't have a rather unusual problem, would I even be on this site?

Reaction score
I dont think there is any real hostility, rather its frustration.

Really? Have you seen the post right after yours?

I think he's clearly demonstrated where he's coming from, as well as who he is.

Starts with an A ends with an E 5 letters in between. I mean, is that kind of comment really necessary? Is it helpful? What does it add to the discussion and is there any basis for it?

I think not. It's just the rantings of someone who you'd probably say is "frustrated."

Why the frustration? It's not his problem. What does he really care WTF I do about my problem?

He's just being a jerk. For the same reason a dog licks his balls.

Of course, I'm the noob, so I wouldn't expect anything less from these sorts.

THAT'S what I'm talking about.

And

Ask me if I care what someone like that has to say about anything.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
You know

Its tough enough to get respect in this line of work, no one really understands or appreciates what we are, a great source of knowledge and experience. They don't see the hours in the field, the hours at seminars and continuing education or how we have to keep up with an ever evolving industry.

Most people see us as "well diggers" in a rusty old truck, wearing coveralls and wearing a dirty old a John Deere hat. Then they call or go online after trying to reinvent the wheel by running a pump 1/2 voltage with no tank and a ball valve on the wrong side of the pump. They ask what could possibly be wrong and when given well thought out logical reasons, they question the combined knowledge of those who answered.

Valveman did the right thing, he bailed. Next time I'm jumping with him!

Reaction score
You know

Its tough enough to get respect in this line of work, no one really understands or appreciates what we are, a great source of knowledge and experience. They don't see the hours in the field, the hours at seminars and continuing education or how we have to keep up with an ever evolving industry.

Most people see us as "well diggers" in a rusty old truck, wearing coveralls and wearing a dirty old a John Deere hat. Then they call or go online after trying to reinvent the wheel by running a pump 1/2 voltage with no tank and a ball valve on the wrong side of the pump. They ask what could possibly be wrong and when given well thought out logical reasons, they question the combined knowledge of those who answered.

Valveman did the right thing, he bailed. Next time I'm jumping with him!

So you're just frustrated generally and taking it out on me.

That's mature.

Then they call or go online after trying to reinvent the wheel by running a pump 1/2 voltage with no tank and a ball valve on the wrong side of the pump. They ask what could possibly be wrong and when given well thought out logical reasons, they question the combined knowledge of those who answered.

I haven't questioned anybody's knowledge or opinion except when it was clearly flawed. Again, cite to where I've done that if you can. You can't, so don't bother trying.

I've taken in everything that's been offered -- even from DonL -- and I get asinine comments like "you cannot fix stupid." Stupid? THAT'S stupid. But stupid is as stupid does so there ya go. That's why that comment was made. By someone who IS stupid and can't think of anything intelligent to offer.

Why you people care about what I'm doing in my life, for whatever reason I have, continues to intrigue me. I've given you my situation -- my well is uncased and that's my basic problem. A function of that problem is that I'm pumping sediment. If you were pumping sediment, would you be a happy camper and just live with it?

If you all can't figure out why I'm running without a pressure tank, think about it. Maybe "stupid" can figure it out since he's so smart.

And if you didn't know already, I've taken the advice that's been offered here. I'm not running the pump at half power and I am using the infamous ball valve to control the flow, or I intend to. In the meantime I'm controlling flow by the only method available to me now, which is at the output end.

So why anyone would say I'm questioning the knowledge that's been offered escapes me. The only knowledge I think I've questioned is valveman's assertion that my pump was "producing 10 or 15 GPM until it shuts off" which, as it turns out, was indeed wrong. It was based on his failure to remember that I have no pressure tank. So I'm to blame for that? Apparently. Even tho' I'd given that information previously (and I think more than once).

I am fully aware of how clubby these sites get and how the established members pick on the noob, especially when one of 'em is challenged -- and regardless of how valid the challenge is.

So get over yourselves and stop the bullshit and stick to the subject at hand. If you can, that is.

Or keep on name-calling and making asinine comments and yada yada yada. For me, I'll keep looking for information as I need it and wherever I can find it -- without the bullshit. Or at least until the bullshit -- that always seems to come -- comes.

BTW, I like DonL's most recent post -- a complete blank. Edited no less. Am I to take it that his brain is now officially blank?

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
My post was not blank.

Why don't you get a old Grill LP or Freon tank, and make you a pressure tank ?

What are your plans ?

Reaction score
I just wanted to post for maybe one last time to thank everyone for the help I've gotten here -- no sarcasm intended -- because I can't think of any more ideas that might help with my particular issue and situation.

So thanks for the help and sorry if I ruffled some feathers and stirred up some negative emotions. It was never my intent to antagonize anyone and I realize that I can get a tad defensive myself, which is not a good thing and not where I want things to go.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Next time you have a problem, You should start a new thread.

Please do keep us informed.

You are OK, We all get our head up our ass at times.

Been there done that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks