1/8" toilet drain slope issue with picture

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by KSHandyMan, Jun 19, 2007.

1. KSHandyMan

KSHandyMan Junior Member

I have run a few searches on the site and think I know the answer but no existing response really puts my mind at ease. I moved my toilet 3" toilet drain over about 3 feet from it's existing location. The problem is that the slope is only about 1/8" inch at best from where it couples into the old line. The new toilet flange is at least 5/8" above where the old flange sat but I'm concerned about drainage. I hooked up the toilet at it's new location and did about 5 trial flushes with only water and it drains quickly with no gurgling. I'm wondering about whether or not toilet paper and waste will get caught in the 1/8" sloped line. The 1/8" slope is due to my the splicing together of the new drain extension to the old drain line. Will this work? Should I have used a Fernco rubber gasket coupling so I could raise the extension to the toilet flange more? Here's a pic:

P.S. Is it acceptable the bend a plastic pipe 1/4" or so in order to get to the correct slope? If I could bend it slightly and then secure it I think my slope would be OK. My concern is that bending the pipe too far might tax the cemented fittings and create problems down the road.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2007
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Since it was just a short section, it was going to work.
    We do try to put them in at 2% (1/4" per foot) the fittings are made for that too.
  3. KSHandyMan

KSHandyMan Junior Member

Last night a bought some galvanized strapping and used it to correct the slope of the pipe. I reconnected the toilet and did some tests using big gobs of toilet paper and it all went down so I guess I'm good to do. I don't think it's exactly 1/4" in each part of the pipe but it's better than it was and seems to function fine.