1/8" toilet drain slope issue with picture

Users who are viewing this thread

KSHandyMan

Reaction score
I have run a few searches on the site and think I know the answer but no existing response really puts my mind at ease. I moved my toilet 3" toilet drain over about 3 feet from it's existing location. The problem is that the slope is only about 1/8" inch at best from where it couples into the old line. The new toilet flange is at least 5/8" above where the old flange sat but I'm concerned about drainage. I hooked up the toilet at it's new location and did about 5 trial flushes with only water and it drains quickly with no gurgling. I'm wondering about whether or not toilet paper and waste will get caught in the 1/8" sloped line. The 1/8" slope is due to my the splicing together of the new drain extension to the old drain line. Will this work? Should I have used a Fernco rubber gasket coupling so I could raise the extension to the toilet flange more? Here's a pic:

P.S. Is it acceptable the bend a plastic pipe 1/4" or so in order to get to the correct slope? If I could bend it slightly and then secure it I think my slope would be OK. My concern is that bending the pipe too far might tax the cemented fittings and create problems down the road.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Since it was just a short section, it was going to work.
We do try to put them in at 2% (1/4" per foot) the fittings are made for that too.

KSHandyMan

Reaction score
Last night a bought some galvanized strapping and used it to correct the slope of the pipe. I reconnected the toilet and did some tests using big gobs of toilet paper and it all went down so I guess I'm good to do. I don't think it's exactly 1/4" in each part of the pipe but it's better than it was and seems to function fine.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks