1/4" closet bolts inferior?

Users who are viewing this thread

newowner

Homeowner
Reaction score
Well, it is probably too late now, but for future reference I was wondering what size closet bolts are recommended for installing toilets? My husband just removed our old toilet. Those bolts were all rusted and bad so he had to get new ones. He installed a Toto Drake regular height, elongated using 1/4" x 2 1/4" closet bolts purchased from the hardware store. Well, I have been browsing my new-found plumbing forum :) and just read a post that makes it sound as if 1/4" bolts are flimsy or inferior. Did we just make a bad mistake? For some reason the Toto Drake did not come with closet bolts and the instructions did not specify size.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
1/4" are fine.

No toilets come with wax, bolts or water supplies.

Heck, when you buy a fishing reel, it doesn't come with fishing line either.

There are many ways to install a toilet, and each case may be different.

We use 1/4" bolts with our installs, we get the double nut, double washer sets.
That way we can secure the bolt to the flange before we drop the toilet over it.

closet-bolts-terrylove-04.jpg

closet-bolts-terrylove-05.jpg

closet-bolts-terrylove-01.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks