1/2" vs. 3/8" water supply question.

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by stockwatchn, Aug 13, 2008.

1. stockwatchn

stockwatchn New Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Ripped out all the old rusty galvanized pipes and replaced them with a Pex manifold and 1/2 " tubing. The question is can I run the 1/2 right to each of my sinks, showers and toilets or do I need to reduce the flow to 3/8" Can I reduce it right at the appliance with a 1/2 to 3/8 connection?
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Aug 17, 2004
    Bothell, Washington
    You can run 1/2" to them.
    They make fittings for that.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Sep 2, 2004
    Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    New England
    You can put a compression stop valve on the pex - the OD is the same as copper pipe. You need a reinforcement ferrule, which is packaged with a valve, or available in bulk if you get one packaged for copper. To make things more 'robust', it's nice to use a copper stubout for the valve. These can be anchored in the wall and provide good support for the shutoffs.