1 1/2 x 1 1/4 in p-trap adapter question

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by jdall, Jul 24, 2012.

1. jdall

jdall New Member

Can I put one of these on the sewer side of my trap? The one that I picked up from the hardware store doesn't have a compression ring so the 1 1/4 tube that fits into the nut does not make a tight seal.. It seems to me that gasses would have the ability to pass through this thing..

7be724f4-8c27-47ef-a680-303fd194bc46_300.jpg
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Yours is the type where the compression ring is integrally molded in the nut. If you are on the right size tube, it will seal when you tighten the nut.
  3. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

1.5" Trap adapters can be for 1-1/4" or 1-1/2" p-traps.
    If your molded slip joint nut isn't sealing, are you sure you have the right size?
    I mainly use 1-1/2" adapters, with a 1-1/2" p-trap and use the reducing slip joint washer at the top to receive the tailpiece of the lav drain.
  4. bluebinky

bluebinky Member

You have to be careful when buying unpackaged things that can be taken apart from the big box stores. Check everything to make sure it's all there...