Search results

1. Dgold

Adding a sink, best way to tie in drain?

Hi all, I’m wanting to add a sink to my laundry room. On the other side of this wall is a vanity, so I have supply, drain, & vent right here - which is convenient. Can I use a tee or a wye (and which is correct?) at location B to turn out of the wall (eye swinging out to the left - so the water...
  2. Dgold

Should RO receive hard water or softened water?

Hi, I'm building a new home in Phoenix, AZ, and I was checking out the plumbing rough in, and noticed something that struck me as odd: I have a softener loop installed, but at the service entrance to the home, there's a bypass. I would expect the bypass to send (hard) water to the outdoor hose...
  3. Dgold

Softener valve guidance

Hello, Looking for advice on a softener. I'm on municipal water in San Diego. Water company analysis here claims a max hardness of 310 ppm (depending on the source), but... and I've tested my CH multiple times with a Taylor test kit @ 400 ppm (~24 gpg). From what I've found online, it appears...
  4. Dgold

What kind of faucet shutoff valve is this?

Does anyone know what kind of valve this is, or how to disassemble it to replace a washer? I'm assuming it's serviceable - but I haven't seen one quite like this before. The white plastic knob has "Ameri-Flex by Brass-Craft" printed on it, but Google hadn't heard of such a thing, which...
  5. Dgold

Electric NG valve for outdoor kitchen

Hi there. Immediately after the 3/4" gas supply shutoff ball valve for my outdoor BBQ island, I'd like to install a 24v gas valve - I'm thinking something similar to what's in a water heater or furnace, but simpler. The ball valve is located underneath the sink. For pure laziness sake, I'd...
  6. Dgold

Top mount sink in a concrete top - How??

Hello, I'm wanting to mount this Elkay 15 x 15 bar sink in a concrete counter. The counter is about 2" thick, but the screws & clips that came with the sink are only long enough to mount it on a plywood top. In the 1st pic, I'm showing the sink has a slight bow to it, but I don't think that...
  7. Dgold

water & growth on top of my water heater - replace or repair?

All, This morning my wife reminded me to flush the sediment out of our water heater. Municipal (N. County San Diego) water is very hard and we get tons of white sediment in our faucets. To my surprise, after a year, very little sediment came out. Upon further inspection, I appear to have...
  8. Dgold

shower drain - is this gap normal?

Below are two pictures of my 2nd floor shower drain. Is this gap supposed to be there, or should there be some sort of o-ring / gasket / caulking in there? I've cleaned this up with Bleach/Water, then Bar Keeper's Friend using a stiff brush. It's not fully cleaned, but I've uncovdered...
  9. Dgold

Base Cabinet drain re-route

Scenario In a kitchen remodel, and discovered a complication. The builder ran a 1-1/2" drain pipe behind the base base cabinets along the wall. Unfortunately, where the horizontal drain line is, to the left of the sink, the wife wants pull-out trash bins. Said bins will interfere with the...
  10. Dgold

PC to ABS: Fernco or solvent weld?

Below is a pic of the drain pipe under my master bath vanity. My drain pipes are made of ABS. About a 1/4" from the face of the escutcheon, someone has previously welded a straight coupling, and for God knows what reason, the trap has been glued together. I am installing a new base...
  11. Dgold

Zinc or Copper flashing to prevent roof algae

Hey folks, I have a colonial in the Baltimore suburbs with a four-sided hip roof with one central ridge along the center 1/3rd, and no valleys. It's covered in "architectural" asphalt shingles. The shady sides (the Northern sides) are beginning to show black streaks -- which from what I...
  12. Dgold

Whole house (attic) fan. Need one w/ heavy insulation doors?

I live in the Baltimore suburbs. In the summertime, my 2nd floor can easily get 15 to 20 degrees hotter than my 1st floor -- especially with my 2nd floor thermostat programmed not to run during the day. For most of the summer, my 1st floor stays relatively comfortable with just the windows...
  13. Dgold

Need help to settle a wager: Culligan vs Fleck, Clack, etc.

Had dinner with my cousin the other night and the subject of water softening came up. I have a "typical" Fleck 5600 controlled water softening system, with a freestanding 8" resin tank, and a seperate freestanding brine tank. He mentioned that I should look at a Culligan -- that they're...
  14. Dgold

Will an acid neutralizer filter out small amounts of dirt / sediment?

My neighbor who isn't so handy is complaining of her sediment filter clogging up every few days to once a week, which then reduces her water pressure. She then purges it to without restriction, the pressure goes back up. She also has an acid neutralizer, but it is after the sediment filter...
  15. Dgold

Advice: Gutter Protection / Gutter Guards

Hello all, I'm in the process of getting quotes to have all new gutters installed around my house. The existing ones do not appear to be sloped properly and all the spikes are pulling out of the fascia boards. While I'm at it, I'll upgrade from 5" gutters w/ 2x3 downspouts to 6" gutters w/...
  16. Dgold

Sealing the driveway - any advice

Want to do some preventative maintenance on my blacktop driveway and wondering if anyone here has any experience using the sealing products sold in the boxes in the 5 gal buckets? Any recommendations or tips would be most appreciated. Anybody prefer one brand over another, etc.? Thanks...
  17. Dgold

Brick & morter & How to clean off morter???

Hi there. This forum has been an invaluable resource to me and I'm hoping someone here will know the solution to my problem... I recently built a brick mailbox. This was my first ever attempt at brick-laying and overall, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, with one major exception...
  18. Dgold

Transformer question

I killed my 240v to 24v (65va) transformer in my air handler tonight, by hooking up to the secondary side to another 24v source - I know stupid me. I know it's dead because the multimeter reads 240v across the primary terminals, but 0v across the secondary terminals. It's internally fused, but...
  19. Dgold

Need help wiring in new Humidifier

Hello all, I am installing a new whole-house humifier and am looking to do so in a way where two conditions must be met for the humidifier to turn on: The fan on the air handler is running The humidistat is closed (ie, provides electrical continuity) Please see the two pictures below...
  20. Dgold

Heat Pump thermostat settings - best practices?

Hello all, My home has two heat pumps for two zones (upstairs & downstairs). I installed electronic thermostats to save energy and let the home get cold (50-deg) during the day and almost as cold (55-deg) at night -- just heating the home for a few hours in the morning (5am-7am to 68-deg)...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks