Will an acid neutralizer filter out small amounts of dirt / sediment?

Users who are viewing this thread

Dgold

Avoid DIYer
Reaction score
My neighbor who isn't so handy is complaining of her sediment filter clogging up every few days to once a week, which then reduces her water pressure. She then purges it to without restriction, the pressure goes back up. She also has an acid neutralizer, but it is after the sediment filter. When I asked her if the *rate* of sediment build up has been increasing, she said "no, it's always been this way [since they moved in to the neighborhood about 18mos ago]."

In my house I have no sediment filter, but when I clean out and refill my acid neutralizer once a year, I wind up releasing lots of dirt / sediment. I then let the neutralizer tank refill and cycle the timer to send the ugly water out during the backwash. I do that twice before adding more calcite.

So I'm wondering, could she use the acid neutralizer as a sediment filter?

FWIW, she has no water softener -- prefers the hard water.

Thanks all.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
She may be using a 5 micron when a 30 or 50 micron would have been a better choice but...

If she has a backwashed AN filter and her water is not visibly dirty, she doesn't need a prefilter and using one can harm teh AN filter.

Tell her to take the cartridge out of it and backwash the AN filter like you do yours. Then leave the cartridge out.

Dgold

Avoid DIYer
Reaction score
S...and using one can harm teh AN filter.

Thanks Gary. I was prepared to take out the pre-filter altogether - never though of just removing the cartridge. Sometimes the common-sense solutions are the most elusive.

Just curious though, how can a pre-filter harm the AN filter?

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
As the cartridge loads up the pressure loss increases which robs water flow for backwashing which is supposed to lift the bed separating the particles of the mineral and get rid of all the dirt it has trapped, which doesn't happen all that well with constantly less pressure and the mineral fails to correct the pH and has to be replaced to fix the problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks