Search results

1. Lvrpl

How often is normal for a pressure relief valve to discharge?

Thanks for all the help so far. The new heater is the same size as the old heater - 75 gallons. The old heater didn't have an expansion tank. I suppose the old heater could have had a pressure reducing valve that the service tech didn't replicate, but I don't think so. I think the setup now is...
  2. Lvrpl

Ok thanks for the help. Is it problematic if I can't get someone here to address this for a couple of weeks? Or is this much more urgent?
  3. Lvrpl

I recently got a new water heater installed (a 75 gallon AO Smith powervent), about two months ago. In the last 3 or so weeks, I've noticed that the pressure relief valve has discharged a few times - maybe 3 or 4 times. Each discharge is maybe a couple of pints of water, I'd guess. Is this...
  4. Lvrpl

Where can I buy a new fitting like this?

I'm rebuilding the drain under a bathroom sink after getting new countertops and sinks. The old drain had one of these below. The downpipes from the sink drain comes in the top, a condensate line from the a/c unit comes in the side, and the bottom feeds into the p-trap. I'd like to replace this...
  5. Lvrpl

Replacing a silcock - a few questions

So pardon my ignorance, but what's wrong with a freeze-proof spigot?
  6. Lvrpl

Replacing a silcock - a few questions

I've got a silcock that froze over the winter that I need to replace. I was hoping for some pointers on a few things: 1. Are there any brands in particular I should use or avoid? I've seen a couple mentions of Woodford, which they also sell at the big box stores - would those be decent? Any...
  7. Lvrpl

What kind of slip washer?

Ah, sorry about - attaching picture this time.
  8. Lvrpl

What kind of slip washer?

I've got to connect a metal tailpiece to a the brass fitting (see picture) where the condensate line ties into the p-trap under a bathroom sink. Is there a particular type of washer to use in this metal-to-metal connection? Can I use the same type that I use for PVC joints (e.g. the green ones...
  9. Lvrpl

Faucet install - gasket on drain piece instead of putty/silicone?

Got it, thanks - I'll use the rubber gasket then and put a little putty on the threads. Thanks for the help.
  10. Lvrpl

Hmm...the drain is metal, fairly heavy and sturdy. The faucet is a decent-quality Delta one. Would you just use putty instead of the gasket in this case?
  11. Lvrpl

I'm installing a new Delta faucet in our bathroom. To my surprise, the faucet comes with a gasket for the drain flange assembly to seal between the drain (as it slides down into the sink hole) and the top surface of the sink hole. Additionally, the instructions say to use the gasket - no mention...
  12. Lvrpl

Shut-off valve - angle or straight, does it matter?

Great, thanks for the advice. Got the angle stops on and they're working great, and the supply lines look fine.
  13. Lvrpl

Shut-off valve - angle or straight, does it matter?

I'm replacing a pair of shut-off valves below a sink. The pipes come up through the floor of the cabinet. Does it matter whether I use angle-stop (the normal 90-degree type you see most everywhere) or straight-stop? Obviously straight-stop would let the supply lines run to the faucet a bit...
  14. Lvrpl

Help - how much stub needed for new shut-off valve?

I need to replace a couple of shut-off valves in a bathroom with newer quarter-turn valves. If I plan to use compression fit shut-off valves (and cut off the old ones that are on there now), how much stub do I need sticking out past the wall and escutcheon in order to get a standard compression...
  15. Lvrpl

Help with replacing shut-off valve

Thanks for the advice so far. Would it work to just heat up and unsweat the valve on the end of the pipe as it is? I think if I could do that without cutting any of the existing pipe, I'd have enough pipe beyond the coupling to put a compression valve on...what do you think?
  16. Lvrpl

Help with replacing shut-off valve

I'm replacing the sink and faucet fixture in a bathroom and have run into a bit of a problem I'm hoping to get some advice on. I understand that it's strongly recommended to replace the shut-off valve when doing something like this (and mine looks to be a 20-year-old original with the corrugated...
  17. Lvrpl

Help - Toto unifit install on tile question

Great, thanks for the pointers. Would you say in my application that just using the tile anchors is an inferior option to what you described? I ask because I spoke with Toto tech support this morning and they said they'd just use the tile anchors, even if I've got a wood subfloor below, but I'm...
  18. Lvrpl

Help - Toto unifit install on tile question

I've got a dumb question. I'm installing the unifit adapter for a Vespin II toilet. The instructions list a separate size drill bit depending on whether you're installing the toilet into wood flooring or tile flooring (and it comes with some anchors for tile floors). I'm installing on porcelain...
  19. Lvrpl

Low toilet flange - best way to address?

I'm remodeling our master bath and find myself with a flange where the top of the flange is about 1/2" below the level of the new tile. The new tile is tiled up to the flange (but not under the flange) and the flange rests on the subfloor. From what I've read, this means that the flange is...
  20. Lvrpl

Set-Rite flange reduces inner diameter of waste pipe- problem?

I'm installing a toilet (Toto Vespin II with unifit) onto a flange that is sitting a little below the tile. I'm considering using a Set-Rite flange extender to remedy this (good visualization at https://set-rite.com/new-toilet-installation/). However, I noticed that the inner diameter of the...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks