Low toilet flange - best way to address?

Users who are viewing this thread

Lvrpl

Reaction score
I'm remodeling our master bath and find myself with a flange where the top of the flange is about 1/2" below the level of the new tile. The new tile is tiled up to the flange (but not under the flange) and the flange rests on the subfloor. From what I've read, this means that the flange is actually about 7/8" lower than it should be (assuming the flange is 3/8" thick and I'd want that new flange to sit on top of the new tile if it were installed correctly). For reference, I'm installing a Toto Vespin II.

I understand that some people advocate stacking two wax rings but this makes me a bit uneasy as I've talked to more than a few people that have had leaks after a couple of years when using this method.

I've also read about spacers but that some people (like Terry) don't like them because you have to silicone the heck out of them when installing on top of the existing flange and, even then, it's another joint that can fail in the future.

I understand that the truly correct fix would be to cut out the flange and tear out a few sections of tile, retile so tile is now underneath where the flange will sit, and reinstall the flange. However, I'd like to avoid ripping out the newly installed tile if possible.

So would the following be a good solution? Cut the flange out and reinstall a longer flange that also has a spacer underneath the flange on the subfloor to support it (again, because the tile was only laid up to the flange and not underneath it).

Thoughts? Am I overthinking this? Thanks for any help.

Reach4

Reaction score
Danco HydroSeat might be useful. One wax ring goes below, and another goes above.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Sioux Chief makes an extension flange that fits inside 3" pipe.
There is no reason to have tile under the flange. As you can see, the ring has holes, slots, and it swivels.

sioux_chief_888-gam.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks