Help with replacing shut-off valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Lvrpl

Reaction score
I'm replacing the sink and faucet fixture in a bathroom and have run into a bit of a problem I'm hoping to get some advice on. I understand that it's strongly recommended to replace the shut-off valve when doing something like this (and mine looks to be a 20-year-old original with the corrugated supply lines that I understand are prone to leaking).

However, one of my valve supply pipes leading into the old valve looks like it's already got a coupling on it, leaving very little regular-diameter straight pipe to put a new valve on. I was hoping to just use a new compression fit valve, but if I cut behind the couple, I won't have enough length of pipe, will I?

Any suggestions on what I should do here? I'm fairly handy but still a new DIYer when it comes to plumbing. Below is a picture. Thanks for any advice.

valve1.jpg

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can try to heat up the coupling and remove it, heat it a bit more and clean the old solder away. Apply new flux and attach a new coupling, then a new short nipple for the new compression angle stop.

If it doesn't work, you can cut off the coupling, between the wall and the coupling, as close as you can get to the coupling. You will have about 3/4" of pipe out the wall to work with, then clean the pipe well and install a new coupling with a new nipple.

To hide the hole, use an adjustable flange.

corrugated-shutoff-old.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Lvrpl

Reaction score
You can try to heat up the coupling and remove it, heat it a bit more and clean the old solder away. Apply new flux and attach a new coupling, then a new short nipple for the new compression angle stop.

If it doesn't work, you can cut off the coupling, between the wall and the coupling, as close as you can get to the coupling. You will have about 3/4" of pipe out the wall to work with, then clean the pipe well and install a new coupling with a new nipple.

To hide the hole, use an adjustable flange.

Thanks for the advice so far. Would it work to just heat up and unsweat the valve on the end of the pipe as it is? I think if I could do that without cutting any of the existing pipe, I'd have enough pipe beyond the coupling to put a compression valve on...what do you think?

Last edited:

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Easiest fix is to get the name of the existing angle valve brass craft, Watts etc and buy a new valve and remove the stem and packing gland (nut) and use the existing valve body.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I'm not a big fan of the corrugated shutoffs. They are single use, and if you move them even a little bit, they can crack. Anytime I'm replacing a toilet or faucet and I find them, they get replaced.

corrugated-stop.jpg

Your best shot would be to remove the coupling and install closer to the wall.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If you heat up and pull off the coupler and get all the solder off, it looks to me that there is enough pipe there for a new stop. There probably is not enough for anything but a flat/narrow escutcheon.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks