Search results

1. Amateurplumber1

I bought a drop-in stainless steel sink. Is there anything I should know before installing it?

I bought this sink to replace the current old sink we have now. I've done a lot of plumbing and faucet installation and all that so I'm good on that front. I've not ever installed a sink though. From my measurements it seems to have the same exact dimensions as the drop in one we have now that I...
  2. Amateurplumber1

I think whoever installed the drain in my shower used parts for a kitchen sink. How do I fix it?

I noticed there was a small leak in the ceiling so I removed the access panel for my tub/shower that said genius (thankfully) installed and everything looks wrong. I narrowed down (pretty sure) the leak to water getting behind the flange in my tub drain. I have a lot of experience with plumbing...
  3. Amateurplumber1

What could I possible have done to my furnace that messed it up?!

I'll definitely try that. Just doesnt make sense to me that it'd occur only because of a disconnect and reconnect of wires. This is insanely frustrating. Was really hoping to avoid paying a minimum of $100. :(
  4. Amateurplumber1

Originally when I put the common wire on and then reverted it back to the way it was, when it shut down, the Nest was saying that there's no power to the RH wire, so that is interesting you mention it. Now that i have the common hooked up, i dont know what it says, but I will check. Here is what...
  5. Amateurplumber1

Alright, so, about a week ago, I got a Nest thermostat and installed it with the 4 wire setup we have. It worked just great for 3-4 days. Everything was wonderful and I loved the new thermostat. I decided to get on the internet and read that the Nest works best with a common wire. So, I noticed...
  6. Amateurplumber1

I absolutely need to use a common wire to install my Nest...which is the common?

Thanks a lot! I actually tested it before you wrote this reply and everything was a-ok! Great. Only thing is, i just put the wire under the screw instead of twisting them together (but thats what I wanted to do--just wasnt sure if I should have since I didnt read your comment haha).
  7. Amateurplumber1

I absolutely need to use a common wire to install my Nest...which is the common?

That was exactly my thought as well! Glad we came to the same conclusion. Yes, I do have a multimeter. Should I put the blue wire directly on the screw along with the other two wires or splice them? Thank you!
  8. Amateurplumber1

There's a lone blue wire upstairs where the thermostat is that is unused; the other four wires are used. Downstairs, at the furnace, there are three blue wires. I've labeled 'em for you. I have no idea which blue wire is the wire that's going upstairs. I'm assuming it is wire 1, because the...
  9. Amateurplumber1

Which sump pump should I buy?

Want to replace my old 30 year old sump pump since I'm not sure when it will fail and I don't know if I'll be here when it does and I figure I might as well since I'm going to be adding in a battery back up sump pump. Which brand should I get? I see the Zoeller and Liberty brand have good...
  10. Amateurplumber1

Is it bad if I have a bypass valve setup on my wall and my softener has one as well?

Or is it just redundant? I was actually told its better to have a supply side bypass in addition to the one on the softener so I put one in when I put my softener in. So far everything has been fine for a few years. Thanks.
  11. Amateurplumber1

Replacing a valve--should I use compression or quick connect?

I dont have soldering stuff with my and its under a cabinet so I'd prefer to use either compression or quick connect. Which do you guys suggest?
  12. Amateurplumber1

Is it bad to have a bypass on your pipes and on your softener?

Oh cool, thanks! Guess the other bypass is redundant then.
  13. Amateurplumber1

Is it bad to have a bypass on your pipes and on your softener?

We've been running ours with both for a couple years now with no ill effects. I remember when I put the softener in a couple people from a couple different websites told me to have a built in bypass in addition to a softener mounted bypass as a backup and for ease of use, so I put one in...
  14. Amateurplumber1

Discharge tube disconnected, saw some resin beads on the floor...what could this mean?

Got a clamp, tightened it down, doubt that thing will ever fall off again. Will test it tomorrow during the day.
  15. Amateurplumber1

Discharge tube disconnected, saw some resin beads on the floor...what could this mean?

Alright, went and checked it out, here are the images. Looks like the DLFC is there. It could be that the resin on the floor by the softener is from when I spilled a bit when I poured it in during the initial install. The resin in the bathtub, though, I have no idea. I guess theoretically it...
  16. Amateurplumber1

I'm gonna look for this when I get home. Its basically just a rubber disc with a hole in the middle to control flow? Remove the clip, take off the elbow, and it should be behind that? How often are these things not included with the control valve?
  17. Amateurplumber1

I'll try to do that. I know it has the top screen. I'm assuming it has the button if I've never seen any resin before. Anything else you think it might be? It just doesnt make sense! I set it all up with your input and the settings you provided me and it's worked fine thus far, so I dunno.
  18. Amateurplumber1

Yeah, I'm gonna pick one up in the next day or two before it discharges again. Right now I have it draining into an unused bathtub a few few away. Not optimal, but until I figure something out thats what I've gotta do. So there was resin in both the room where the softener is (right next to the...
  19. Amateurplumber1

The drain elbow (the little ridged L-shaped white piece, I'm assuming) is indeed held in with a red clip. Definitely firmly connected. That's totally weird for me too--why start now? I'll keep an eye on it and see if I see resin again, I guess. Thanks again Bannerman.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks