Which sump pump should I buy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Want to replace my old 30 year old sump pump since I'm not sure when it will fail and I don't know if I'll be here when it does and I figure I might as well since I'm going to be adding in a battery back up sump pump. Which brand should I get? I see the Zoeller and Liberty brand have good reviews. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

xprtplumber

Reaction score
Website
xprtplumber.com
Looks like you have a pretty standard sump pump pit installation. You are correct in your statement that both Zoeller and Liberty are good brands with good reputations. At Service Experts Plumbing, we stock and prefer to install the Zoeller M53 this is the all metal construction model with a 3yr manufacturer's warranty. However Zoeller does make two lighter duty models that are considerably less expensive. The Zoeller M72 which is a mixture of metal and plastic construction, as well as the M73 which is all plastic construction. You will find that these two models will sell for about 20% less than the all metal M53 unit. When replacing your sump pump we always recommend the replacement of the check valve at the same time, as check valve failure will lead to premature sump pump failure due to excessive cycling . Also, remember to drill a small hole (about 1/4") in the discharge pipe close to the pump connection, this will help ensure that your pump will not airlock.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Zoeller Mighty-Mate 53 has a plastic impeller and is a 0.3 hp pump. The 57 model is still a .03 hp pump but has a cast iron impeller.
I like to use at least a 1/2 hp pump, they just seem to hold up better but they do cost about twice as much.

Mighty-Mite 50 series of 0.3 hp Zoeller Pumps
http://www.supplyhouse.com/pex/control/search/~SEARCH_STRING=mighty%20mate

Zoeller Flow-Mate series
http://www.supplyhouse.com/pex/control/search/~SEARCH_STRING=Flow Mate

Zoeller Flow Mate 137 1/2 hp with cast iron impeller

liberty-247-install.jpg

Liberty 247

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks