What could I possible have done to my furnace that messed it up?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Alright, so, about a week ago, I got a Nest thermostat and installed it with the 4 wire setup we have. It worked just great for 3-4 days. Everything was wonderful and I loved the new thermostat. I decided to get on the internet and read that the Nest works best with a common wire. So, I noticed we had an extra wire (blue) behind the thermostat that wasnt used. I installed it, but nothing happened because the wire wasn't attached at the furnace.

Here's where the trouble begins. I installed the blue wire, but forgot to put the door on, which activates a switch, so the system never came on. Of course, I totally forgot about this, so I thought I messed everything up. So, I put the wires back the way they were, closed the door, and the system worked, but with a hitch.

The problem: now when the thermostat calls for heat, the burners will turn on, then after a minute or so, turn off, then the blower will stay on for a couple more minutes and then everything will shut off. However, it doesn't always do it, and seems to do it more when I call for higher heat. The nest will briefly flash a yellow/orange light, then the voltage and amperage will go down almost to 0. Almost like a switch has been flipped.

I called Nest, they walked me through a bunch of troubleshooting steps, determined it was a faulty base, so I replaced that, and it still did it. One note: during troubleshooting, they had me reverse the white and yellow wires and that made the system work fine, but gave me no control over the heat (basically reverse the heat and cool wires, so kept the heat on).

They told me I had to install a common wire since it sounds like a power sharing issue. Turns out, that extra wire was the common wire and I had it right when i forgot to close the door. Installed that wire, which went great, but the problem still happens! I called an HVAC friend, and he told me to open the door, hold the switch manually, and see if that works. That time the system turned on and stayed on perfectly fine. He said it sounds like there is something that's restricting air flow and a limiter switch is engaging to prevent overheating (thats why the burners turn off and the blower stays on a little while after--to further cool the system). He told me to make sure all the vents are unblocked and that there are no filters in. I did that, it still happens. I cant be sure, but it seems like it helped a bit.

Anyway, what the hell could possibly have happened? What did I do? It's not an emergency since the house eventually gets to the temp I set it at, but I'd like to figure this out. To recap, the problem seems to happen more often when the heat is set higher (69-70). According to the Nest, voltage and amperage suddenly go almost to 0. The problem seems to be alleviated when the door is open and I hold the switch manually. The system works fine when the heating and cooling wires are reversed, though this gives me no control over the heat (Nest troubleshooting step).

Thanks a lot for taking the time to read this! :)

Stuff

Reaction score
Assume a gas furnace. If restricted air flow is shutting down a gas or oil furnace you will see a flashing LED on most systems. There is a plastic peep hole that you should be able to see it with the door closed. The LED is on solid when system has power - changes color or flashes when on with more flashes depending on the code.

Your problem sounds more like the R wire (red Rh/Rc) is either loose or hooked up to something other than R at the furnace.

Pictures of the wiring and model number of furnace would help.

Reaction score
Originally when I put the common wire on and then reverted it back to the way it was, when it shut down, the Nest was saying that there's no power to the RH wire, so that is interesting you mention it. Now that i have the common hooked up, i dont know what it says, but I will check. Here is what it looked like when nothing was changed. That's also what it looked like after I connected and then disconnected the common wire when this problem started. Now this circled blue wire is also attached to the C terminal (don't have a picture but you get the idea). Problem still persists (so I dont think its a power sharing issue). The only info I could find on the model of the furnace is Carrier 306022-201 rev a. This is a picture of the control board and wires hooked up when no common wire is installed.

Stuff

Reaction score
So you have an older furnace without LED. That number is for the control board itself. Thinking more I will back off and say that may not be a wiring issue.

Try this: Disconnect all wires to the Nest at the thermostat. Then short (tie together) just the red and white wires. That should activate the furnace in heat mode. See how long it will run compared to when the Nest is hooked up. If it shuts down after a while then it is a furnace issue - either overheating or the exhaust is blocked/restricted and you need to get someone out to track down the problem. If heat works and you can get to 100º in the house then either the Nest is bad or you have a bad control board in the furnace.

Reaction score
I'll definitely try that. Just doesnt make sense to me that it'd occur only because of a disconnect and reconnect of wires. This is insanely frustrating. Was really hoping to avoid paying a minimum of $100. :(

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks