Search results

1. petrie

Why is non astm b 813 compliant solder even sold?

As a DIYer I started soldering by going out and buying the solder and flux kit from oatey. It came with Oatey 95 and some silver lead-free solder. Been using that for last 3 years. Had good results so when I ran out I'd just buy the Oatey 95 again. Been reading about corrosion from...
  2. petrie

Torch with swirl tip worth the extra money?

Currently I have these two torches for soldering. The small one is propane only. I've had trouble in past soldering 3/4 " ball valves, (took long time) so I bought the bigger torch which is map-pro/propane. These are cheap torches. Paid $14 for the big one. I'm wondering if it's well...
  3. petrie

On what plumbing projects does water heater need to be shut off?

When I installed my 40 gallon power vented natural gas water heater the directions for filling it said to open all the hot water faucets to get air out of system and not to turn the water heater on until the tank was completely filled. I've read that electric water heaters definetly need...
  4. petrie

PEX still good if you heat it?

I did a 1/2 bath in my basement a few years ago. Came off the copper with PEX. It's the red and blue nibco stuff that my local big box sells. I have the watts cinch clamps holding it together. Anyway I was planning on adding a shower and I would need to remove some elbows and add some...
  5. petrie

True or False? If sweated joints don't leak right away, they won't ever leak.

Thus far in my limited soldering experience I have only had one leaky joint. And it was a major screw up on my part. I had soldered a 3/4 tee on the hot water line leaving the Water heater. 1st dumb thing was I forgot to open the outdoor spigots so water would stop draining , and then...
  6. petrie

Do pros solder shower valves before or after installing?

From watching online videos I got the impression that one should solder pipe stubs into a shower valve on floor and then attach it to framing so rest of joints can be made. Is this what pros do? Since a shower valve takes so much more heat I'd be worried I'd be burning the mounting...
  7. petrie

Is this guy for real? How not to connect copper to galvanized

How can you do a professional video like this and be wrong on so many things? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAqrI-z-XIs
  8. petrie

What soldering technique is right?

I was reading the AWS guide on soldering and it talks about when soldering a horizontal joint that you should heat from the bottom of joint and then pushing solder in at bottom of joint and going up one side to top, then return to bottom and go up the other side to top. Two half circle swipes...
  9. petrie

Shower/tub valve install, did I do it right?

A slippery slope got me roped into putting in a whole new shower valve for my Girlfriend's friend. Any way I'm wondering if my technique was bad. It's a single lever valve with built-in shutoffs on either side of the cartirdge. Took valve apart to just brass, cleaned fluxed all pieces. I...
  10. petrie

Can I just use silicon to install a toilet flange?

I have a 4" pvc pipe that is flush with the basement floor surrounded by concrete. The toilet flange goes inside the pipe. So, what I'm wondering is being as water would have to shoot back up the pipe on the way down to try and leak out could I use silicone? Would silicone eventually fail...
  11. petrie

Need help installing toilet in basement.

I have a 1972 built home that has cast iron drain pipes. there is already a rough in for a toilet. it is a cast iron hub on a 4" pipe. The hub measures around 5" across on the inside. the top edge of the hub is actually 1 1/2 inches below the concrete floor. I tried to use a Fernco...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks